Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: A couple of guys who need Adanthar - WSOP Satellite

Even the shortstack (hockey) has 10bbs here, so nobody is barely hanging on. If he feels that he is going to get outplayed later on, I think the second stack can make this call. However, If he thinks that the big stack is pretty agressive, then he should back off and wait for hockey to get involved in a coinflip. The way he pushes his whole stack with AQ here, I would guess that the big stack would have entually flipped with hockey at some point, or even calling when behind just to eliminate. Probably a bad move to play KK here, but good for hockey!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 AM

I'll defer to the masters if they weigh in, but ...

If I'm either of the villians I'm not all that interested in playing a big pot w/ the other stack that can hurt me. As the big stack w/ AQ I'd put in the standard "I have a big hand" raise of 2.5-3x and expect him to fold (at this stage of the tourney the non-jams were strong indicators of a big hand). As big stack I'm fine w/ just picking this up. If he plays back at me I'm done as I don't expect him to play games at this point (if BB shoved over a standard raise he's likely to show the KK and send the message that: "yeah, we're working together here, I know you had a hand, I had a monster"). If BB just calls I'm looking to play a small pot unless I have the nuts (I'd treat it like I was deepstacked w/ a marginal hand).

As the BB w/ KK, when the SB shoves: I mutter, curse, kick my desk, type WTF in the chat box, bemoan my lot in life, and no doubt an assortment of other things and then muck them. I didn't do a detailed calc but I'm sure this is a -$EV situation (one of those classic cEV / $EV divergences you get in satellites) - the chips I gain as a likely 70% favorite don't add as much to my $EV as the loss I incur the 30% of the time I'm beat.

HC
Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 AM

classic, congrats
Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM

hee

haw

Congrats!