Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:30 AM

Default MTT Theory Question

Hey all. My friend and I have a disagreement currently. Here's the situation:

You have Ks Qs early in the WSOP main event, and you're in for the minimum. The flop is Jc Ts 2s, giving you overcards, an open straight draw, and a flush draw. The pot is 200, and you've only got one opponent. He goes all in for 9900. The pot is 10100, and it's 9900 for you to call. Now your opponent flips up Ac Jd. You are a 2-1 favorite to win. Do you call? In general, the concept is, assuming you are of greater skill than the average WSOP entrant, how much edge can/should you pass up when risking your tournament life?

My view is that, even when you have a skill edge, it will never be large enough to pass up a mathematical edge this huge. I read an article in CP about whether or not a person should call an all in on the first hand of the WSOP with QQ in the BB, when everyone folds to SB, who goes all in and flips over AKs. If anyone has a link to this article, I would appreciate it.

Can anyone help me explain to my friend why he shouldn't pass up edges like this? Alternatively, please explain to me why I'm wrong, if that's the case.

I'm a bit flustered right now. I'm in the middle of the arguement. I may expound in a bit.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: MTT Theory Question

Before I get berated, I know this exact thing is discussed in the "Anthology of 2+2 Wisdom." The problem is, my friend doesn't necessarily believe sources that "may or may not be sound," as he considers random posters on 2+2 to be. What I really would like is a way to prove the concept to him.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:13 AM

calls like these are why good players have an edge. If youre passing up an edge like this, then youre not a good player.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 AM

The posters in the anthology are not random. They are here to stop these kind of posts.
~Justin
Closed Thread