Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Does an A/C society exist anywhere at the moment?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check out http://www.simplyanarchy.com/ under 'pro-anarchy' for a bunch of succesful historical examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Successful? Those examples are patently ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

&

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you agree that the truest test of the "success" of a political system would be it's longevity? If it is working why change it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for making a complete ass out of yourself as you've clearly not investigated these examples concerning longevity and reasons of change.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While admittedly many of these historical examples do not represent 'total/complete' anarchy

[/ QUOTE ]

I would consider the fact of being able to voluntary choose security and arbitration independent of location (and thus have competitiveness going on there) to be very much a situation of no-state.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Successful? Those examples are patently ridiculous. With the "possible" exception of Somalia, none of them exist and even the examples that were given weren't true anarchies. Wouldn't you agree that the truest test of the "success" of a political system would be it's longevity? If it is working why change it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you care to elaborate on why these examples are 'patently ridiculous'? While admittedly many of these historical examples do not represent 'total/complete' anarchy, to dismiss them because of this is ridiculous. What these historical examples show is how a society can function with very little State. They also provide empirical refutations of pro-State arguments of the form "x couldn't possibly be provided without the State...".

As for longevity, medieval Iceland lasted in its semi-anarchic state for longer than the US has existed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, at least be original in defending your position or refuting anothers. I did read the article linked as well as some of the supporting documentation. I found the last sentence of your post in one of the papers. Here it is in it's entirety.

[ QUOTE ]
Iceland's quasi-anarchistic system broke down only in the last thirty years of its existence, having worked successfully for three hundred years before that. We should be cautious in labeling as a failure a political experiment that flourished longer than the United States has even existed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paraphrasing and then regurgitating anothers writing is still plagarism unless credited.

Now, according to the writer in the link, the Iceland system failed because of "outside" influences in it's system. King Olaf using "point of the sword" techniques in spreading the Christian philosophy and religion. However, the writer also goes on to admit that basic greed was the true reason for it's downfall. In a nutshell, that is why, IMO, there can be no true AC society. Someone will always be trying to improve their position or influence the position of others.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't have the inclination to fight the entire AC block who seem to band together to try and roll over everybody in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wuss. If our arguments are so easy to defeat and yours so superior, this shouldn't take much effort at all. Spouting off a few things with no backing to them is cowardly, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Defense

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been argued ad nauseam that there will be defense in AC. It's a service that is in demand and therefore will be supplied. See The Myth of National Defense for extensive coverage of this topic.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Trade with other Societies

[/ QUOTE ]
What? Only stuff that the government sells/buys. Businesses would be free to trade with other countries. Btw, how does a government trade with a society?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Infrastructure

[/ QUOTE ]
Such as....?

[ QUOTE ]
4. Laws and enforcement

[/ QUOTE ]
See the answer to number 1. Also see chapter 11 of For a New Liberty by Rothbard for discussion on how such things can be provided for by the free market.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick list of just some because I really don't have the inclination to fight the entire AC block who seem to band together to try and roll over everybody in this forum.

1. Defense
2. Trade with other Societies
3. Infrastructure
4. Laws and enforcement

[/ QUOTE ]

Every single one of these has been handled, more or less, by voluntary efforts and free markets, at some point in history.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would consider the fact of being able to voluntary choose security and arbitration independent of location (and thus have competitiveness going on there) to be very much a situation of no-state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree for the most part.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please, at least be original in defending your position or refuting anothers. I did read the article linked as well as some of the supporting documentation. I found the last sentence of your post in one of the papers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Paraphrasing and then regurgitating anothers writing is still plagarism unless credited.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also shouldn't make assumptions about what I have/haven't read. I actually did not read any of the links in question (at least not before posting), but made that statement from what knowledge of medieval Iceland I already had.