Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Default OOT Cookoff - Weekend edition.

So here is the deal, post a meal that you make this weekend, include recipe, approximate cost, and photos of the process and finshed meal.

This won't be as hardcore as the CSC Challenge, no money, and no scoring. We will have a poll though to see who the ootiots thought made the best meal.

I was thinking possibly this also could be the begining of a bigger challenge. We take 16 weekly winners then pit them in a Iron Chef/Bracket cookoff to crown the top Chef of 2+2.

Anybody interested?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: OOT Cookoff - Weekend edition.

The CSC Challenge was awesome. I may participate in this as I have been wanting to buy a digital camera for awhile and I had planned on making a gazpacho-steak-rice-mexicany kinda thing at some point this weekend. I hope this one is as good as the first one...
Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 PM

Here is my entry: This is another Indian dish called Chicken Chettinaad. The main focus of this dish is the ginger-garlic peppercorn paste. To make this paste: Get 3tbsp of Ginger-garlic paste and then mix it with 10 ground pepperorns. Use 1 tbsp for every 2lbs of chicken and then use the rest while frying the onions.

Marinating the chicken: Use 2 tbsp of the paste for 2lbs of the chicken and then add yogurt and 1 tsp of turmeric powder, mix and then refrigerate for half an hour:

Get a good look at the ingredients: 2 onions diced, 2 tomatoes diced, 1 serrano, 10 curry leaves

Fry the onions in 3tbsp oil. Additionally you can season the oil with fennel seeds, cumin seeds and the curry leaves before you start frying the onions. To season is to just pu t in these seeds and leaves and fry it for about 2 minutes. Start frying the onions, and once they turn brownish, add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tsps of garam masala powder, salt and the tomatoes and the ginger-garlic peppercorn paste and stir well for 5 minutes till the tomatoes get fried.

BTW, here's a shot of the paste that I made:

Stirfry the chicken in now along with the paste for 10 minutes and then add 1.5 cups of water and then oover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve with rice.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 PM

I will be making ribs with my room mate tommorow, but saddly I don't own a digital camera.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:14 PM

bump...

Anybody making anything today or sunday?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 PM

I made some good pork chops last night. Just the usual dinner fare, but I'll share with you all.

Pork Chops with Apples. Julienned carrots as a side dish. Took 20 minutes. I used one pan. Cost = approx $6

4 Thinly sliced pork chops
2 Granny Smith Apples
1 onion chopped
some sliced or julienned carrots
2 Bay leaves
some thyme
butter
salt/pepper
white basalmic vinegar
1 tablespoon Maker's Mark bourbon
1 1/2 tablespoons approx. brown sugar
some chicken broth

Put pan on a medium high flame. Add some olive oil and a pad of butter. Sear pork chops a minute or two each side. (They're thin so they cook fast.) Set pork chops aside. Add chopped onion and carrots to the pan add some chicken broth (1/4 cup or so?). Add another pad of butter thyme, 2 bay leaves. Shake the pan, cover and leave on medium flame. Meanwhile slice 2 granny smith apples. Carrots should now be tender. Remove carrots (slotted spoon if you have one) and set aside. There should be liquid in the pan toss in the apples another pad of butter the brown sugar some white basalmic vinegar (I just had the white on hand you can use regular). When the apples start to get a bit tender, pop the pork chops back into the pan. Shake the pan covering the porkchops with the apples. Take a spoon fill with bourbon heat over the flame. Light and pour over the porkchops and apples. Shake pan. Plate pork chops apples on top carrots to the side. (Be sure to remove and discard the bay leaves.)
Old 04-29-2006, 10:02 PM

I did one tonight, I'll post it tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:22 PM

I'm going to grill some chicken for honey mustard chicken sandwiches. It won't be a fancy recipe, but it will be delicious.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump...

Anybody making anything today or sunday?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am going fishing tom., if i can get enough rainbow trout to make a meal., i will take some pics of stuffed trout.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM

Made a nice snack for myself this evening, along the lines of meal made earlier this week for family.

PATRICK'S SPICY CHICKEN

Chicken breasts. Then... liberal quantities of...

Sweet chilli sauce
Honey
Smoked paprika
pepper
cayenne pepper
garlic
(Probably some other stuff that I have forgotten about but you get the idea!)

Then slice a couple of oranges up and set them over the chicken in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 10 at 220.

Serve with rice, or (as per this evening) take away fries : )