Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve recently read/bought, (or plan to) - April/May \'06 edit

I read 4-5 books a week on average so I am interested in those threads for some clues on what to try next. I enjoy going to the library and just picking out a new author and reading all that they have written. I just finished doing that with Brian Haig, the son of Alexander (I'm in charge) Haig. He gave me a fun read.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve recently read/bought, (or plan to) - April/May \'06 edition

El D,

I know nothing about your tastes, but I can make one reccomendation to anyone with who appreciates excellent writing:

Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff.

Rakoff has the best vocabulary of any modern essayist I've read, and he packs his work with genuine intellect and wit. His first collection of essays was called Fraud.

I was depressed when I finished tearing through them, as I wanted more.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve recently read/bought, (or plan to) - April/May \'06 edition

I see that you've read Sedaris, a good friend of Rakoff. I won't be surprised if you tell me you've already read DGTC and Fraud, as you clearly have a deep appetite for lit.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve recently read/bought, (or plan to) - April/May \'06 edit

i'm pretty snobby about books but i got through the davinci code. it's entertaining. apparently his earlier work is better.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 PM

Three Nights in August is horrible.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought Life of Pi and In Cold Blood. Goot?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about In Cold Blood (and all of Capote's work, IMO) is that it's talked up so much by critics and others (including Capote himself) that you think "there's no way it can be that good" but then you read it and realize "Wow, it actually IS that good."
Old 04-29-2006, 10:18 PM

Has anyone read Dont Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, its a great read.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM

Btw, El D,

I find Crichton to be absolutely unreadable (Timeline was the most embarrassing piece of garbage), while I find Brown to be basic, low-level writing, but easy enough to digest. You'll finish DVC in about half an hour.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about In Cold Blood (and all of Capote's work, IMO) is that it's talked up so much by critics and others (including Capote himself) that you think "there's no way it can be that good" but then you read it and realize "Wow, it actually IS that good."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like me in highschool.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You or anybody else read 3 nights in august. About the Cards vs Cubs series by the guy that did Friday Night Lights. Supposed to be great and im thinking about getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a huge baseball fan and this book was really annoying. The author is a fool from what I can tell.