Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve recently read/bought, (or plan to) - April/May \'06 edit

[ QUOTE ]
LittleOldLady: Have you read Andromeda Strain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It was tolerable. Eaters of the Dead wasn't too bad. Timeline was just horrible, dreadful. Crichton is not near the top of my list of trashy reads.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve recently read/bought, (or plan to) - April/May \'06 edit

LoL, Bruiser:

Now you have me questioning whether or not I should bother w/ DaVinci Code. Still, FORTY MILLION!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LoL, Bruiser:

Now you have me questioning whether or not I should bother w/ DaVinci Code. Still, FORTY MILLION!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
it'll be an easy, fast-paced, entertaining read

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right El Diablo. people that hate this book (not all, but many) like to sound intellectual by telling everyone how bad it sucks.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:32 PM

ED, if you want to be entertained in a soap opera/adam sandler movie sort of way, you'll enjoy da vinci code. Read it, just so that you don't sound uncool talking to all your important business friends wanting to feel cultured when they talk about books.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:34 PM

I suggest Waiting for Godot and Walden.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:45 PM

You or anybody else read 3 nights in august. About the Cards vs Cubs series by the guy that did Friday Night Lights. Supposed to be great and im thinking about getting it.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM

mb,

I should have listed that book in my "almost got it" list. I almost bought it last week at the airport when I bought the Ruth Reichl book instead and I almost got it today when I saw it at the checkout, but I decided I already had enough for this trip. Will be interested to hear how you like it. I liked Friday Night Lights a lot.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:50 PM

I've heard a lot about it being a Cards fan here in Missouri. They say it gets a ton into the strategy that La Russa thinks and what not. Many say it is a good business book for this reasoning. The guy is a freaking genious(La Russa).
Old 04-29-2006, 09:53 PM

I oughtta add "Conspiracy of Fools" in there too. Read it a couple of weeks ago and highly reccomend it if you're into white collar crime. Its a documentary basically of the entire history of Enron.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LoL, Bruiser:

[/ QUOTE ]

El D...I'm obviously not on the intellectual level of most of the nuclear physicists and brain surgeons who frequent OOT but I will say that after hearing forever about the DaVinci Code and knowing that the movie is coming soon, I trundled down to ye olde local library and checked it out. It is a light read with a good story and some really interesting twists and turns. It is not the story of the ages and will never be confused with anything from Hemmingway or Tolstoy but it was fun and I enjoyed it.