Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Re: One dollar, one vote.

I'll just go ahead and tell you something you should have learned by now (paraphrase):

"Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the others."
Old 04-29-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Politically-minded individuals will pay more than non-politically minded individuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Power hungry and greedy individuals with means (accidentally), will capture the political agenda to serves their end even more easily than under the current system.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We will all soon be forced to pray

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt the veracity of this statement. Who's going to enforce this?

edit: The government (and the currency) would become unstable, nature would reclaim the infrastructure, and we would all end up growing our own food for a living in the OP's hypothetical, (provided that the population keeps its weapons)... IMHO [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2006, 05:54 PM

whats funny is this is the system we already have in place....you think your vote counts...haha, here you can vote on this, would you rather be deaf or mute... does this illustrate my point?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:10 PM

I think wealth and power are, as a rule, equivalent.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think wealth and power are, as a rule, equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Each dollar that you pay gives you one vote that you may use in an upcoming election of the government level you gave to. Paying $10 to the Federal government gives you ten votes for the President in the next election. Votes are transferrable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...so pretty much what we have now?

(Come on, you know you were thinking it too...) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Each dollar that you pay gives you one vote that you may use in an upcoming election of the government level you gave to. Paying $10 to the Federal government gives you ten votes for the President in the next election. Votes are transferrable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...so pretty much what we have now?

(Come on, you know you were thinking it too...) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked, the head honchos of big oil only got one vote each.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:38 AM

Does the word 'porkbarrelling' mean anything to you? Last time I checked it was still in fashion.

FWIW I would predict very little tax income and no govt expenditure. Everyone knows they can't compete with the big guys, so nobody pays except those who plan to win, who spend all the income making sure they win next time.

How about an alternative method: for every ten thousand dollars you spend on a registered charity, you get one extra vote. Any takers?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 AM

The most unethical wealthy people control politics even more than they do in capitalistic democracies now: they create a system in which they are granted monopolies and hence the 'investment risk is worth the reward'; it is more than worth it to buy a few million votes in exchange for a few billion dollars profit. Among other devious decisions (e.g. school control, no progressive taxation, minimum wage or working condition laws etc.).

They eventually realize that they still need some kind minimum wage and working condition laws so the 'supply' of wage-labourers are not wiped out a la the UK in the early 1800s (the WC had a life expectancy in the thirties, and because of injury and illness a worker viability expectancy of much lower than that: most could not be used as wage labor till 30 because of that) and the demand for products and sevices is not wiped out a la the great depression where supply was high but nobody could afford to buy any of the built up supply. Monetary and fiscal policy would still be used, but rigged (even more) highily in favor of the most greedy and unethical wealthy people.

And/or a violent revolution changes the system.