Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: JJ Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I think villian played his hand expertly. He had TT. I think his line is very good with specifically TT and AK if he puts me on the type of hand that I had here (JJ).

[/ QUOTE ]

But is it a good line with AA? With QQ? This is what you should be asking yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is one of the things I learned from this hand. I think it is a bad line for him to take with AA or QQ. I think I commented on this specifically in my above post. Honestly, when the hand was played I was really taken aback by villian’s flop check and I did put him on a big hand when he CR’d as I thought that was the only thing that made sense. It wasn’t until after I saw his hand at showdown that my eyes were opened to the more likely possibilities for his hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In short I don't think betting gains us very much in this spot and actually allows us to get outplayed by a tricky good SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get outplayed when you fold the turn -- not when you bet the flop. Let me make it clear -- I don't think the turn fold is terrible, depending on how much respect you have for MP. But y'all have to quit [censored] your pants and seeing monsters every time that somebody takes an unorthodox line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m really curious what your thought process would have been in this hand and how you would have played it.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: JJ Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I’m really curious what your thought process would have been in this hand and how you would have played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking is that the pot is big, I have a decent hand, and once this flop hits, I'm prepared to pay 2.5 BB to call down unless an A or K hits the board or the third player raises somewhere along the line.

Now he checks the flop. That's weird ... but probably good. Most often I think this is AK trying to see a turn card for one or zero bets (and perhaps a showdown cheaply thereafter). AK hates this board. Then MP also checks. Also good. So I make a garden variety valuebet.

Then SB raises. Very weird, since it looks like an effort to get MP out and/or scare you. It could be a monster ... but this is no real way to play a monster since it tends to shut down the action. Now, maybe he thought MP was really aggressive and would almost always bet after you checked. Maybe this guy has FPS. Maybe he knows that we know that this is no way to play a monster and so there's some third level thing going on. I'm not ruling out a monster. But I'm also not ruling out AK/TT/JTs, etc. Really, I don't think his hand range is too far from what it was when we started the hand; I'm just getting too much conflicting information to conclude otherwise.

And so now, instead of being prepared to pay 2.5 BB to call down in a big pot, we're going to have to pay 3.0 BB to call down in a slightly bigger pot. This should not be a big problem.