Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Weird turn action

I think any number of suited cards can try to take down a pot with a semibluff. Also there's the chance of a stop and go, and it could be a weakened made hand by the turn (Ive seen this done before, TPTK fails check raise and the turn is a bit scary)
Old 04-28-2006, 01:49 PM

I'm calling here. It could be a set, but it could also be QJ. I think you're ahead enough of the time to call, and betting in the hand is essentially over.

I don't play 50NL, but in my experience at 25NL, pushes from short stacks usually have wider ranges than deep stacks.

Edit: BB is yet to act, so betting may not be over. But I expect a fold enough times to still make this a call.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:49 PM

I fold. He's got 9T more than a set though methinks.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 PM

IMO it looks like a slowplayed str8 or set. I have seen a couple players overbet big like this and i dont know what it means. I wouldnt want to give the villian credit for thinking about what im thinking about his bet though. The simplest answer is that he doesnt want a call. But im not sure i want to go to the felt with TPTK on the turn with no real draws.

Quark.. thats an interesting question. You mean if hero CBs and catches the J on the turn. And Villian over bets the pot again? I think i would call there because pot odds would be a lot better and id be confused to all hell about what he had.

Villians range: can you guys see slowplayed Aces at all here? I agree that more often then not this looks like he limped with a mid PP and caught. And I would hate to pay that off, but at the same time it kinda looks like villian tied a noose, attached it to a tree, and stood on a wobbly chair. Id like to call and look like a genius picking off a block but how often is TP good here?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM

I think that he pushes here to punish anyone who may have a 9 or is now on AK hearts or something hoping that someone who is on overcards hit the J and since his hand is very well disguised it may look like a steal attempt to them. Thus garnering a call or even a raise. Which is what he wants. Why else build the pot?

Serioulsy what 2 cards would call a raise OOP like this? Suited connectors? doubtful. SO he either has over pair or a small set of some kind.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm calling here. It could be a set, but it could also be QJ. I think you're ahead enough of the time to call, and betting in the hand is essentially over.

I don't play 50NL, but in my experience at 25NL, pushes from short stacks usually have wider ranges than deep stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that short stacks are just trying to hit a peice and get their money in so they have a lot wider range than normal. does QJ, JT, Limp UTG? It could also be another AJ. but i think something big is more likel, though it doesnt make sense for him not to slowplay it and bet little.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 PM

I agree looks like a slow play of str8 or set. My money is on set. I thouhgt of overpair OOP in this siutation, but the limp/call is what changed my mind. He might have limp/raised with an overpair AA of KK.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 PM

I think the slow play ends on the turn because the button could have a wide range. He is probably thinkning that A9 is a possibility putting him on a draw. or A9 hearts giving him a great draw. Maybe even AK hearts. If he is a good player KJ AJ is good read too.

If he overbets he accomplishes 2 things. 1. If you have TPTK you might call and he will get paid off (TPTK thinking he is good and that UTG is trying to steal with an overbet) and
2. If you are on a draw he protects his hand from str8 or flush draws.

BTW. . . I recently did that in AC on a real table. I limped with 55 UTG for $2 I was raised to 15 from the button. I called and hit the flop. checked around on the flop. turn was a K. I bet a ridiculous amount like 75 or somthing and was raised by the button holding AK. River was a A. I bet even bigger and was raised all-in by the button. I called and got paid off huge!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that short stacks are just trying to hit a peice and get their money in so they have a lot wider range than normal. does QJ, JT, Limp UTG? It could also be another AJ. but i think something big is more likel, though it doesnt make sense for him not to slowplay it and bet little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't play 50NL, but at 25NL I regularly see players limp hands like J10 or A9 UTG.

You will definitely see monster hands in this position, but I think you will also be ahead enough of the time to make this call.

Although a read would definitely help...
Old 04-28-2006, 05:07 PM

I fold and take a note that he overbets to get all-in with a mediumish stack and cannot wait to see a hand where his overbet gets called. Is he copying a BOW strategy? Is he just a maniac bluffer? Or, does he bet his made hands real strong and hope people call and double him up?