Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: HULA Feedback Thread

the single greatest HULA PITA is actually finding a table.

I'd repeat that, but I think someone else will do that for me.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you were willing to play 20/40 play tables at Prima, there was no problem at all finding a table.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2006, 02:12 AM

my games lasted about 30 min, total.....i think 30 bb is nothing.
dave
Old 04-28-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read your post. I'm really not sure how your system of alternates works, and thus, if I like it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, starters always get to play if they want to. Alternates are only there to fill in when a starter can't play for some reason. Because it's out of the alternate's hands as to how many, if any, games he's called upon to play, he only pays a prorated amount of the entry fee. Likewise, if his teams wins, he wins a prorated amount.

It was the best I could come up with that was fair and solved the problems (as I saw them) of making a player sit out at least once per season and scrambling to find a replacement player if someone is unavailable or drops out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, in essence, was the former version of HULA - where each time had a roster, with an alternate who would be called upon in the event that a player couldn't make his match. However, many alternates didn't get to play a single match, and overall sense of team was somewhat diminished as a result. The "sit 1 week" idea worked pretty well, IMO. If anyone sat more than 1 week then obv something went wrong.

Surf
Old 04-28-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you were willing to play 20/40 play tables at Prima, there was no problem at all finding a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

we were completely unable to land a prima play-money tables. All the HU ones were taken.

We eventually migrated to Stars on the nano-limits...which was a PITA because that was a wait too. But at least we got on.

I think our failed prima attempts came in the afternoon though.
Perhaps Prima play-money tables are better in the American evening hours (after most of the Europeans have stopped playing).

I really enjoy the HULA's.
I think our mini-hula idea of a retainer to ensure all the matches gets played helps a LOT.

I look forward to another HULA (hopefully soon) as well as a NL version (HUNLA??)
Old 04-28-2006, 05:36 AM

I think I'd prefer a more tournament style - 5 weeks certainly drags on. So maybe roundrobin individual matches, have to set aside predetermined times so it can run faster than 1 match a week...
Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 AM

Has anyone ever directly approached Stars to see if they might reserve a couple of nanotables for us specifically? I do not think they would dismiss this request out of hand.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This, in essence, was the former version of HULA - where each time had a roster, with an alternate who would be called upon in the event that a player couldn't make his match. However, many alternates didn't get to play a single match, and overall sense of team was somewhat diminished as a result. The "sit 1 week" idea worked pretty well, IMO. If anyone sat more than 1 week then obv something went wrong.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct and it didn't work well in practice. In the earliest HULA's the alternates had long since forgotten they were part of the team by the time they were required. Consequently, there were as many problems getting alternates to play games as there were getting original team members.

The new system works well as everyone is an equal part of the team with the same financial committment. Consequently, its almost 'accepted' up front that everyone will sit out a week. The only change I'd propose would be changing the rule preventing captains from sitting out without exceptional reason. I'd have liked the option to sit myself out for the final week due to crap form!

Sheriff
Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever directly approached Stars to see if they might reserve a couple of nanotables for us specifically? I do not think they would dismiss this request out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

We actually had HULA specific tables on a small site for the first two events. The site also held all the money and didn't charge a rake for doing this. I doubt that the bigger sites would be as flexible but I did suggest asking this at the start of this HULA. I believe Perseus wanted to see how things went this time round before re-evaluating.

I used 3 sites during HULA, experience as follows:

Stars - Micro-limit tables. Nightmare getting a seat. Raisins tried stalling someone repeatedly for an hour to get him to stand up and he completely missed the 'subtlety' and stayed put!

Prima - Play money tables. Immediately available both times I tried. Lightning fast. Best site by far. 2 opponents didn't have Prima accounts though, otherwise I'd have played here every time.

UB - Micro limit tables. Better availability than Stars but still some waiting. Pain in the arse to get a complete hand history though - Ultimate History seemed unable to cope with the speed of hands and I got only partial histories for my 2 games.

Sheriff
Old 04-28-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UB - Micro limit tables. Better availability than Stars but still some waiting. Pain in the arse to get a complete hand history though - Ultimate History seemed unable to cope with the speed of hands and I got only partial histories for my 2 games.

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

Use PokerAce for hand histories at UB and you will have no problems. But you will have a problem with the rake which is brutal there, unlike Prima and Stars which both have no rake.