Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Robbed at Gunpoint

Wow I would probably get in the Car I would pack my [censored] if I saw a gun cause I've never lived in a Gun culture. But yeh I can see that it's very stupid. Strange I would not feel nearly as threatened by a knife but and might just run.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:26 AM

Did you get the liscense plate number?

Probably a stolen car, but worth a shot anyways.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 AM

I'm not getting in the car. I'm standing up as if I'm complying and then I'm doing a sing -leg takedown and grabbing his gun hand. Then I'm bashing his head and his gun hand into the ground.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not getting in the car. I'm standing up as if I'm complying and then I'm doing a sing -leg takedown and grabbing his gun hand. Then I'm bashing his head and his gun hand into the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]
you're going to do a single-leg takedown with one hand?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 AM

I'll add, after rereading the scenario above.

Probably the best course of action was to stand up slowly, play along, and then try to run. Assuming the bus stop has some mass to it (i.e. three walls and a roof, not just a bench in the open) I'm going to try to distract the guy by yelling / pointing "look out" or tossing him my wallet or watch or something and then running (shouting to my friend to start running, of course) - first goal is to get the bus stop between you and him, then the second goal is to round the nearest corner and run as fast as you can to safety. No "zig zags" or anything, but you can turn profile to make yourself a much smaller fleeing target, especially if he's not giving chase and you can trade off the speed for the smaller target profile.

Calling 911 on your cell is then your first priority when you've established immediate physical safety.

If you don't have a good place nearby to run to, or any immediate cover, I'd try to signal to your friend or whisper that you're going to fight the guy. Then use the same distractionary techniques - pretending to cooperate and then jumping him, or tossing him your wallet/watch and then jumping him, etc. Your primary goal is to secure his gun hand. You're going to have a lot more leverage on it than he does, if you're attacking it from below and using both of your hands on his wrists. Close the distance as quickly as possible and struggle for the gun, struggling to keep it pointed away from everyone. Even if you are two scrawny people, inside arm's length you're a lot more capable than you'd think against one person armed with a small gun.

Of course its all easy to say this in planning or after the fact.

I'd thank your lucky stars that you're OK and alive. I'd also start carrying mace or pepper spray or even a taser, if you live in the kind of area where you're going to have to worry about this frequently.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
knives are a lot scarier than guns

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If I can get a step on a guy with a knife, I like my chances better than if he had a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

knives are sharp so you can't really try to pull it away from him without risk of serious injury. but if you can grab a gun and try to point it away...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. You forget that knives dont have to stab. Someone can slash your forearm down to the bone in one swipe easily if you try to make a move on him. One cut is all you need to go into shock. And dont forget a knife doesnt need ammo and doesnt make any noise.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
knives are a lot scarier than guns

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If I can get a step on a guy with a knife, I like my chances better than if he had a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

knives are sharp so you can't really try to pull it away from him without risk of serious injury. but if you can grab a gun and try to point it away...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. You forget that knives dont have to stab. Someone can slash your forearm down to the bone in one swipe easily if you try to make a move on him. One cut is all you need to go into shock. And dont forget a knife doesnt need ammo and doesnt make any noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i also think a person would be more willing to use a knife, either on purpose of if the victim had some sort of hero type response. i know that a lot of these 'stick up kids' have no intention of hurting anyone and just want money to support whatever habit they have. i wouldnt be surprised if in the incident in question the gun wasnt loaded. of course there are plenty of sickos who will kill for no reason anyways.

basically, less chance of a screw up with a gun i think.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:07 AM

you only need one hand to hook the leg. the key to a single leg (or double leg) take down is to "scoot and shoot" it's all in the legs.

It's like this:

You drive with your legs- like you're knealing w/ one knee on the ground, the other in the air and then you push off and switch the positions of your knees so that you get propelled forward. I'm grabbing the one leg with one arm, though in wrestling you would usually use both- but I need the other arm to go for the gun; but if I can't get it , I have the element of suprirse, I've got him off balance, I'm putting him on the ground with me on top.

my response is high risk but it beats getting in that car.