Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Default TT against a re-raise, better line?

Villain is a decent player but nothing great. I am around 25/12/4. When he re-raises me I am pretty sure i am dominated
but it could have been a steal attempt. What line do you take here? If he had made a larger bet on flop I would have folded. If the OESD hadnt come on the turn I would have led into him for a blocking bet and c/f the river. As played I decided to check the turn to see if I could haev odds to draw since he didnt seem to be playing his overpair too strong. Comments appreciated on all streets.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $44.02
UTG+1: $48.22
Hero: $59.45
Button: $55.25
SB: $46.65
BB: $21.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $5</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $3</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($16.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $8</font>, Hero calls.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Re: TT against a re-raise, better line?

you could lead flop, or call flop then lead turn
Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 AM

That flop bet is extremely weak or extremely stong. Really stong hands would be 88 or 77 and really weak hands would be overcards w/out a flush draw. Given how he reraised you pf, his most likely hands are AK, AQ. I'd c/r him and make it 13 giving him 2.5:1 odds to call w/his likely overcards. The problem w/this line is that if he calls your in a tough position.

An alternate line to take is by just calling his $3 flop bet take the lead on a very favorable turn and try to get him to fold. He won't be able to raise you unless he's got a set. The problem w/this line is that there are a ton of scary turn cards so I guess you've gotta pick your poison here
Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 AM

I like call flop and lead turn for a PSB, AK/AQ with some kind of FD seem quite likely here with his weak bets.

What do people thing about a big C/R on the turn? You picked up a decent draw and you must have some folding equity against at least QQ/JJ, or if he has just overcards/draw force him to make an expensive mistake if he calls.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 AM

I'd rather put the c/r in on the flop when the pot is smaller. If we can make the assumption he's got overcards on the flop, why let him see a turn where any A, K, Q, or J is a scare card for us.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 AM

I think its harder to put him on just overcards with the flop bet, but once he does that weak little bet on the turn it seems more likely. I can see someone betting weak on the flop with a v strong hand, but once called I would think they would bet stronger on the turn to get more value.

As far as risking a scare card on the turn, well the pot isnt huge and I would be prepared to let TT go easily to any scare card on the turn, however that turn card helps our hand and makes the board fairly scary for a larger overpair, there should be a few two pair, set and straight combinations in Hero's range here.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 AM

I dunno, a 1/3 psb seems pretty weak to me. I just cant see AA, KK, QQ, or JJ betting that little. I feel that even a somewhat passive player will at least make a 1/2 psb on a flop like that

The other thing to consider is what would you do if he made a psb or 3/4 psb on the turn? That seems like a very strange line and its tough to fold here b/c you've got an overpair plus an OESD. I'd rather be proactive than reactive once he shows such weakness on the flop and the turn is an almost perfect card for our hand. Another thing to consider about betting out this turn is that we can represent a wide range of hands from a strait, to a set, to 2 pair. A significant turn bet could have some significant folding equity.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 AM

Looks like overcards or smaller pair. C/R the turn to about $25. He'll most likely fold. If not, c/f river.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:33 AM

I think i like leading this turn instead of checking it now that I look back over the hand for a PSB. Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Results

The river came a Jack and i c/r'd him all-in and he called with AA.