Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Medium pairs in early position

I accidentally posted this in the medium stakes section but have moved it over here where to it was meant to be posted...

How do you like to play medium pairs when you limp in from early postition and the flop comes relatively low cards. For example, you limp in with a pair of sixes or sevens and the flop comes 3-4-9 or 3-4-10.

How do you usually play it when there has been no raise pre-flop and you are against 3-4 players?

How do you like to play it when there is a pre-flop raise from late position?

How much of a difference does a it make if there is a flush draw on the board?

I know this is a tough question to answer because it is so situation dependent, but what do you think is the best basic strategy (adding in some qualifications if you like).
Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Medium pairs in early position

When you posted it in MSNL I was already debating whether to advise you to post it in SSNL. This is very, very basic stuff.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 PM

I don't think it is as basic as people make it out to be. The flop is fairly straight-forward, but the turn and the river are not. I think there is a wide variation in the amount of value made, money lost, and money saved when comparing even good to excellent players.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM

beach bum - this is too dependent on (1) whether or not the game is 6-max or full ring; (2) the way the opponents play their hands and what they limp with; and (3) your image.

I don't like to open limp myself because of these kind of problems. However, if you do choose to open limp with a small-medium pair, I think you need to be able to get away if you face any resistance at all.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 PM

This isn't [censored] rocket science. There was a reason I moved this post the first time you made it. Posting it again doesn't really make much sense, does it? All of your questions are too game/player/image/feel dependent.
Closed Thread