Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Default 5/10 PL KK decision.

Ok, I have been playing with Villain(SB) all day pretty much. My impression of him is a very weak tight player, and not capable of risking money to make a move. I have been pushing him around pretty badly though. There was one pot with me where he built a pretty large pot with nut flush draw..I Cxed the turn, and he fired a 1/4 pot river bet into me, w/ A high busted flush. To me that's still not a very risky play. Also, CO is a 56/.8/.04.. On with the hand.

In retrospect, I think I should've bet the turn with intention of checking non-diamond/King River. What do you people think as to alternatives etc?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($1140)
SB ($1584.75)
BB ($996.50)
Hero ($2291)
MP ($493)
CO ($1176.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $35, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $30, BB calls $25.

Flop: ($140) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $125</font>, CO calls $125, SB calls $125, BB folds.

Turn: ($515) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($515) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $200</font>, Hero folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: $715
Old 01-08-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: 5/10 PL KK decision.

If you bet the turn and are raised, you throw up. So I think checking is fine, particularly because of two opponents, and because superpassive CO is very unlikely to bet.

The river, I don't mind a fold, but a call would also be OK.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:19 PM

I think you played this hand well, and probably how I would play it. I dont like a river call, either, as 3handed people tend to play more honestly. What could he be bluffing? Only reasonable draw got there, so he needs to have an overpair or a bad 8 and valuebet/decided it was no good. wp.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 PM

Yeah. I fold this river. I also bet this turn though because even if my hand is no good now, if villain realy does have the A or flush and doesn't cr, I can build the pot when I hit a K or a diamond. I guess the reason I don't like checking through the turn is because then I'm almost always faced against a bet on the river to which I fold. Is this bad reasoning? I actually almost don't even mind getting CR on the turn here, because while I do have a million outs it stops me from having to make a bad river fold.

Whoever is slightly impressionable and reads this, don't follow it, I'm pretty sure it's bad advice.

Edit: Rob convinced me how wrong I was in about 3 lines of text. I wasn't looking at stack sizes, either. I recant all of what I said but will leave it anyway.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 AM

ok so you recanted but...

obviously you realize that if youre "always" faced with a river bet then you should call many of those bets, if not all of them.

unless you think that 2 people calling your flop bet means that when the diamond hits you are always beat, in which case while the heck do you want to bet. Most hands that beat yours on the turn will be checkraising and you wont be able to call. Youre beat, but have outs, so the only option is check IMO.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:30 AM

well played
Old 01-09-2006, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I fold this river. I also bet this turn though because even if my hand is no good now, if villain realy does have the A or flush and doesn't cr, I can build the pot when I hit a K or a diamond. I guess the reason I don't like checking through the turn is because then I'm almost always faced against a bet on the river to which I fold. Is this bad reasoning? I actually almost don't even mind getting CR on the turn here, because while I do have a million outs it stops me from having to make a bad river fold.

Whoever is slightly impressionable and reads this, don't follow it, I'm pretty sure it's bad advice.

Edit: Rob convinced me how wrong I was in about 3 lines of text. I wasn't looking at stack sizes, either. I recant all of what I said but will leave it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, I like your original advice. I bet the turn at least some of the time.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:54 AM

you played it fine.