Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Off topic life post

Jason,

The grass just looks greener. How about taking a year off? No one will care or hold it against you. Travel, play (cards and otherwise), have fun, do crazy things. You have earned it. Set aside enough money to get started again and go have fun. Heck, travel the world visiting HSNL forum posters. You do not have to spend a lot of money. Give up the outward signs of success and enjoy life on the cheap. Once you see how little you need, it should get easier. There are posters on this forum who live happily off of little enough that 200K would last 20 years with no more investment skill than CDs and municipal tax-free bonds.

You can retire now if you wish. Everything else is gravy. A large part of your concern comes from your concept of success. And yet, you have already succeeded. The happiest people I know either (1) are doing what they were born to do, (2) live off very little and don't work hard, or (3) have huge creative drive that they give into often and wholeheartedly. Possibly there is (4) the really rich, but I don't know many rich people in the American sense.

My one strong piece of advice to you is fear the downswing. If you continue to play, there is no way you can avoid a 30-buyin downswing. Not in shorthanded hyperaggressive games. Eventually the distribution gets you. Get away from the game for a while.

Matt
Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 AM

but its still not that hard
Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 AM

I'm just curious from all the mediocre GPA talk. I don't care about specific numbers but what kind of range are we looking at here?

I only say this b/c I believe I have a very mediocre GPA of 3.2, but that comes from a marginal to decent state university (Ohio State) in a not so hard major (history).

I also only bring this up b/c there have been people on both sides of the value of GPA in this thread and while I don't play nearly as high as strassa or have the sort of winrate he does I am in a similar situation (as I think most of the winning soon to be college graduates face)
Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when the hell do you sleep?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death.

Seriously though, the engineering company is extremely laid back and it is nothing like the corporate office.

I show up at about 11:00 like a bum. Total flex hours so I am able to play poker in the evening - late night.

If the company I work for did not allow me to show up whenever I wanted to I would not be working right now, only playing poker.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:12 AM

Which school?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 04-27-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when the hell do you sleep?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, the engineering company is extremely laid back and it is nothing like the corporate office.

I show up at about 11:00 like a bum. Total flex hours so I am able to play poker in the evening - late night.

If the company I work for did not allow me to show up whenever I wanted to I would not be working right now, only playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored] man, this sounds exactly like my job. except im a sports writer not an engineer. I am always draggin my ass into the office about 2-3 hours after everyone shows up. But I'll pull some late nights and have to cover a lot of games on the weekends so i get my 40 in every week.

being able to work on your schedule is priceless
Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Make money playing poker
2. ?????
3. Die

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, that is my plan.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 AM

If you can get a job at a hedge fund right now with no problem, it is a perfect combo IMO of poker and "real life" corporate experience. The skill sets are almost identical the way I see it, the stakes are wayyyy higher, and you could make more money in 1 year than the best poker pro in his lifetime even if you are in the Top 100 (#1 Stevie Cohen made $1bil+ in 2005).

Personally, I am at a similar crossroads, though I am 18 and not at the same poker level in terms of earnings. I know for a fact that I don't want to play poker for a career(nor do I want to work anywhere other than wall street or its equivalent) - my goal is to make enough money to simply move on to a different stage, hopefully soon. You already have made enough money from poker I presume for it to lose its original sparkling, so the call is for something more high stakes - and I don't mean 50/100 NL.

Huge difference from poker though is hedge fund becomes 100% you life, where you cannot set your own hours or take a vacation whenever you want, so obiovusly to survive, you need tremendous passion for work in addition to your money and skill set.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok NaS