Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 01:12 AM

Default anyone here ever dealt with Baseball cards?

I recently inherited a fairly extensive baseball card collection from someone, and have no real intrest in keeping them. I was just wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about selling them wether it be ebay? card shops? or any other? any help would be greatly appreciated.
for information purposes the collection consist of a little bit of everything from numerous Ted Williams and Mantle cards to cards as modern as 2003, and also many rookie cards of the likes of Yogi Berra, Harmon Killibrew, Cal Ripken, and much more
Old 01-09-2006, 01:14 AM

Default Re: anyone here ever dealt with Baseball cards?

ebay.

Do some research about the ones that seem rare. If they are in good shape, paying to get them rated by someone like PSA can increase their value ten-fold. But it costs money and time to get them rated, so I'd only bother for the high-end ones.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 AM

i pm'ed back and forth with a member/mod here about what it took to get the greatest value from your collection as well as selling it.

first and foremost you must get the card graded. i had an 86-87 fleer jordan RC sent to beckett to get graded, unfortunately this is the only way you are going to have a CHANCE to get its fullest value and even still the grading process is touchy and you may not get what you think the card is worth. many of the high profile cards have been counterfeited and the grading process has stopped that completely, it sucks cause its turned collecting into a business (maybe it always has been) but if you want to get its fullest value i say send it to becket or any of the other grading places (clarkmeister mentioned another) then ebay is a good route after that.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:30 AM

I need to do the same thing.
I got about 15k baseball and football cards from a collectibles store when it closed, all in the 1979-91 range, and all in very good condition.

This could be the start of my poker bankroll.

What would be the best way to go through these and pull out the rare ones? There have to have been some good rookie cards made during that time.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 AM

Another option that a lot less work is to find a VERY reputable sports collectable auction house or two. They'll do the work for a cut of the hammer. Plus, they'll also tell you fairly quickly if you have anything even worth dealing with. If it's a major collection, they'll be very interested and tell you how to maximize value. Might be less than you get on eBay, but might be more as well, with considerably less hassle.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:25 AM

I have a huge collection from 85-91 and thought about selling to shops, ebay, etc... After researching I found that everyones out to get a deal, obv., and that I was not going to get anything for them. I then decided to keep them for my son and start a collection for him when he get's old enough. Good hobbie for father/son. Maybe if you decide that the money is no big deal you do the same. My collection should be pretty juicy in 10-12 years. Lots of Bonds, Griffey Jr's, etc.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 AM

pm nolanfan_34. He should be able to help
Old 01-09-2006, 02:29 AM

Thanks for the help, I was really not excited about the thought of doing all the sorting myself.