Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: *** TRIP REPORT- Ingrown Toenail Removal (OUCH) ***

[ QUOTE ]
I had one from somewhat in similar cirumstances about a year ago. It was about as bad as yours looked in the second picture and i managed to fix it on my own without any nail cutting.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you had access to any health professional why would you try to take it out yourself?

risk for severe infection is just one of many things that come to mind
Old 04-26-2006, 01:43 AM

Damn surf.........that really looks painful. Hope you heal quick.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: *** TRIP REPORT- Ingrown Toenail Removal (OUCH) *** Maybe NSFW

My sympathies - whenever I remove these for a patient (I prefer to send them to a podiatrist) I have the nurse start an IV and give them 5mg of Versed, before I numb them up - it sort of short circuits the brains ability to form memories, so they don't remember the pain.....I'm a BIG versed guy, for anything that hurts.....

MM MD
Old 04-26-2006, 01:52 AM

Something I try to get across to younger MD's in our department is that for a whole bunch of stuff we see, we can't do very much....but we can ALWAYS treat pain. I find that as they age and accrue various painful maladies (kidney stone, or something like the OP's problem) they tend to be a bit more liberal with the drugs.....

MM MD
Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 AM

i have had many in my life, mine were due to wearing cleats that were very tight (according to the DR). I have also had a few in the fingers... I learned to to leave both of the ends(tips) long and havent had a problem in a while, but then again, i havent had cleats on in about 2 years.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:39 AM

I had both big toes done at the same time as they were often growing too wide or somthing. They cut the nails down both sides to the base then put some stuff in that stops it regrowing and I havent had a problem since.

Kids standing on my toes for the couple of weeks after was more painful than the actual procedure which didnt hurt at all apart from the needle.

Getting fillings is worse imho.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:04 AM

I had two root canals that didn't hurt AT ALL, so this sounds a lot more painful.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:13 AM

I had one of these ingrown toenails once. Got so bad I just had the doctor rip the whole thing out. The one that grew in looks like [censored] though.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 AM

I had the exact same procedure performed on both big toes (on both sides of each big toe) -- it's a genetic thing apparently, as a few family members have had the same issue. We've all used this guy in case you're looking for someone who knows what they're doing in the Philly area (hope this isn't spam or anything, I don't know the guy except through my toenails getting chopped off).

Anyway, I remember the pain medication working pretty well. All I really felt was this weird pressure while he was working on the toe nails. I could tell something was being cut up that clearly wasn't supposed to be cut up, but the pain wasn't really getting through. It also helped that there was a tray in the way so I couldn't see what was going on.

Anyway, best of luck in your recovery, I remember feeling great on it within a few days.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:53 AM

i've had to get ingrown nails removed maybe 7-8 times...finally i had them do some laser [censored] after removal that was supposed to stop it from growing back that way; all it did was lengthen my recovery time, feeling like i was burnt; but 1-2 removals later it hasn't grown back since in several years (knock on wood)

i recommend just getting the numbing shots (painful since it's infected there) without the liquid nitrogen (which is supposed to numb the area so shot doesn't hurt so much, but freezes like a bitch, making it worse than just getting the shot)