Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 PM

Default So I want to start exercising

I want to start exercising but have no idea where to start. I am 21 and quit smoking about ten days ago. I am not super fat or anything although I do have a little excess weight. Mostly I want to feel / be healthier and have more energy and strength.

I have been considering jogging but that is a little high impact for me. I like to walk so that is definitely in. Crunches? Pushups? (it is pretty tough for me to do many push ups, especially because one of my feet is sorta messed up). I am thinking I can devote about fourty five minutes a day to this, every day, preferably in fifteen minute slots three times but I am open to suggestions.

Basically, I have no idea where to start and am hoping OOT can help me! (Also things that cost money are 100% out).
Old 04-25-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: So I want to start exercising

google 'exercise program' or something like that. you can probably find everything you need for your height/weight.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:58 PM

As long as you masterbate rigorously everyday you'll get all the exercise you need. I do mean rigorously too, not half cocked.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(Also things that cost money are 100% out).

[/ QUOTE ]

You just quit smoking, you should have some extra cash to spend now. It sounds like you are not interested in working out too hard, so maybe the following will do.

Take two days a week, and walk for 30 minutes. Sometime on those two days stretch for 15 minutes. If you need a stretching routine I can give you one.

Two other days of the week stretch for five minutes, then run for 15 minutes. After that jumprope for 15 minutes (if you need a jump roping routine I can get you that. and if you do not have a jumprope buy one, they are like $10). Then stretch for 10 minutes.

Two other days stretch for five minutes, do 20 minutes of various abs routines, 10 minutes of pushups, in sets of like 4x30 or something, and 10 minutes of deep knee squats 4X20.

Take one day a week off. If your diet is terrible fix it, and try to include more high quality protein in your diet.

This you could probably do without spending much money at all, hopefully after you do something like this for a while you will have decent results, and want to get better results by joining a gym. Once at the gym you achieve much better results with weights, and will be able to have more variation in cardio routines.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 21 and quit smoking about ten days ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

first i wanna say, congrats to that. keep it up and try to never return. i honestly think you'll be tons better off in the long run

as for an excersize routine, try running a search on these forums, as this is a common topic

also, i'd reccomend seeking advice from a credible source online (not sure where). maybe you can get ideas from that.

i'd also suggest getting some advice from friends who workout (but not crazy meathead friends). try to get some down to earth, level headed advice from them. i think starting out small is a good idea and gradually easeing yourself into a more rigorous routine is a good bet. combine weight training and cardiovascular excersize, and try to excersize all main muscle groups (even legs and back)
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because one of my feet is sorta messed up

[/ QUOTE ]

pic?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:19 AM

I'm 33 and have been a lazy bastard for the last few years. Other than occasional forays into roller hockey I haven't done a thing.

Last week, I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and have never experienced a more enjoyable workout in my life. Where I live, the rates are more than reasonable. The workouts are fun as hell. A day later, my quads felt like they used to after the workouts I did when I had a 1000+ combined powerlift, and my abs felt like I did 200 sit-ups.

I know you're resistant to paying, but find something that intrigues you, and even if it costs you money, you'll more than make it back in health credits.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because one of my feet is sorta messed up

[/ QUOTE ]

pic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been considering jogging but that is a little high impact for me. I like to walk so that is definitely in. Crunches? Pushups? (it is pretty tough for me to do many push ups, especially because one of my feet is sorta messed up).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want it to be worth it, i suggest you stop being such a pussy. If your going to exercise and don't want to spend money at, say a gym, then either run for energy, or do push-ups, sit-ups, and pop-ups (jumping straight up and down for your verticle and leg strength) for strength. Otherwise, forget it.

EDIT: just saw the picture of your foot, if thats how it is now, then wait till it gets better and start doing these things, and sorry for calling you a pussy, but if you've had time to heal, then i keep my statement.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 AM

This really depends on what kind of results you are looking for.

I try to run 3x a week, and then small amounts of free weights with lower weight and more reps. I want to make sure my workout is for slimming and toning my body, not getting big. Tons of guys at my college gym have what I consider to be disproportional upper bodies. It freaks me out.