Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM

Default KK vs confusing river bet

No reads just sat down a few hands ago. Im the aggressor until the river... and then I am confused.. My largest problem is when i get confused I shut down and have no clue what to do. (Flop donk bets by early position callers usually get me to fold most hands ive raised pf with, as an example.)Is this a clear push or call? I can't see folding here given the action and the small bet.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $51.60
UTG+1: $32.75
MP1: $40.20
MP2: $47.15
MP3: $17.25
CO: $40.45
Hero: $46.45
SB: $50
BB: $72.70

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.75, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($12.75, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($28.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $5</font>
Old 04-25-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: KK vs confusing river bet

i would just call, looks like something like A7 or a mid PP trying to see a cheap showdown though, so a raise might be in order, oh and im weak tight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 PM

Looks like he could have Tx of hearts or something. He has something like 14 left. I'd go allin.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:07 PM

I think your giving this guy too much credit. I would put him on a flush draw on the flop and turn and trying to win the pot with a bluff. So in that case calling would be the best option.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 PM

I'm not giving him much credit at all, really. My plan was to put him all-in (~$15 more) on the river if he checked to me. It's just this bet seems very weird to me.. so i guess my original question is does this change my all-in plan to calling? On a side note, Was pushing if he checks the correct plan?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm relatively new to this forum - majority of my play is in B&amp;M - so take all of this with a grain of salt. That being said, I think his action on the flop and turn screams draw, but then again the river is odd. AhTh seems likely here? Confusing river bet though. If you're really feeling like a baller you might push. He played it like a draw, and his small river bet makes it seem like he's got a marginal hand that he wants to showdown. You've been very aggressive up till this point so there's no reason for him to assume that you'll hit the brakes on the river. I think he also left enough behind that he'll fold to an all in with a really bad 4. Although, maybe he's one of those guys who can't get away from 2 4 here. Be a man, do it.

ERBY
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 PM

wow...you guys post fast. I started writing and there were no replies...I post and I'm sixth in line. Great forum!

ERBY
Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM

I'd usually just call but pushing is probably better.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM

I think the play changes to calling b/c you have no read of the situation. If you had been at the table longer and thought he was capable of calling the preflop raise with something like 4-x or else the hand is a busted draw and you will not get anymore value by pushing on the river. Also if it is checked to you i think you can push with confidence. Are you going to post results later? I am interested on the final play
Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Just because you asked: I pushed and he had pocket 7s.

In retrospect, and after the advice from people here, a call is obviously the correct play. Now I see there is very little to no value in raising the river because an unkown will most likely fold a worse hand and by pushing I am giving money away.

I thought his line was interesting and only clear after he showed. This hand and quick discussion taught me a lot. Still learning, thanks all for the help.

--Coco