Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 04:11 PM

Default must show cards before seeing turn & river when opp. is all in?

I was at a pub poker tournament last week and this situation comes up.

After the flop, the SB bets $x. I make a $3x raise. Button raises all-in (about another $.5x to me) SB folds and I call since I'm committed.

Button turns up his cards and everyone at the table insisted that I turn up my cards also before we saw the turn and the river which I did not want to do because I had been semi-bluffing a draw. Am I incorrect to argue that I called a raiser and therefore have the right to wait and muck my cards facedown after seeing the remaining board cards and the raiser's hand?

The dealer just wanted to move the game along so he dealt before I showed my cards and I threw my hand in the muck when my diamond didn't come. This infuriated some drunk at the table who remained loud, irate and threatening to me until the bar eventually called the cops to subdue him.

Obviously, I want to know if this was worth the trouble, cause holy *$#% was it trouble.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: must show cards before seeing turn & river when opp. is all in?

Yes you should of turned your cards face up. Genrally this is done before the dealer flips anymore cards. I can understand you were semi-bluffing but it doesn't matter, once everyone is all in, the cards get turned up.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 PM

In a tournament it's usually a rule (you were wrong in this case). In a cash game your line is usually fine. It comes down to house rules.

On another note, if you want to run it twice then both hands are going to have to be exposed, so the players can make that decision. I usually open my cards if I think I'm in a "race" and may want to run it twice.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 PM

Do you generally have to show your cards if you call yourself all in on the river and the bettor shows a winning hand? Or is it only if you call all-in before the last card is dealt? I've seen this played both ways.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]

Do you generally have to show your cards if you call yourself all in on the river and the bettor shows a winning hand? Or is it only if you call all-in before the last card is dealt? I've seen this played both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok in a cash game:
The person who bet shows first at showdown, or the person who was first to act when it gets checked down shows first.
If a person calls a bet and thinks they are good they will usually table their hand and if bettor cannot beat the hand he can muck, he can also muck right away but opponent can ask to see his cards (dick move btw)
And this is the same for PF,Flop, and Turn if it ever gets allin. the pusher has to show at showdown and caller can show his hand if he beats it

in tourney when allin both hands are shown right away
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a tournament it's usually a rule (you were wrong in this case). In a cash game your line is usually fine. It comes down to house rules.

On another note, if you want to run it twice then both hands are going to have to be exposed, so the players can make that decision. I usually open my cards if I think I'm in a "race" and may want to run it twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, most tournaments require that you show before they continue dealing. All the cash games I've played in do not.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:19 PM

you were right on in terms of etiquette for a cash game. house rules may be a different story, and drunk idiots yet another.

but the idea behind the ettiqutte is that if someone loses an all in, they may or may not be a "contributor". but if they are, letting them lose with their dignity intact can help to encourage a rebuy. a draw is one thing - you have outs. but some hands don't have outs and they can be embarassing for a bad player to show.