Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Logical explanation why party will not open more 5/10 & 10/20NL tables

20+ people on the waiting list during peak hours. Why!? Enlighten me please..
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Logical explanation why party will not open more 5/10 & 10/20NL ta

This has been addressed before numerous times. New players will go broke faster at 5/10 & 10/20 than at lower stakes which means less rake, additionally, additional tables mean more SH & HU tables which most beginners are even more vulnerable at and again, they get gutted faster equating to less rake. Also additional server capacity & bandwidth just for 2-3 hours a day is expensive, people outside of the industry often vastly underestimate the costs of datacenter operations & Gibraltar can't be the cheapest spot in the world for this either. It's a logical business decision from Party's viewpoint.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM

i remember the old days when people were bitching and moaning about how party needs more NL 200 tables back when NL 200 was the highest NL stakes (blinds 2/4). ahhh those were the days!!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:17 PM

yeah, till one day they are being spread and all your theory is in the toilet, people said the same thing on 50bb party 1/2nl days 3 6max tables
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM

They don't want fish 9 tabling 10 20 and going BUSTO in a day
Old 04-25-2006, 05:36 PM

And Party resisted offering 5/10 NL for a long time til ALL their major competitors (Stars, Full Tilt, UB & Prima) had it and business started to go elsewhere. Right now however, there is very little market for games above 10/20 (including 10/25 in 10/20) as evidenced by the fact that there is rarely more than 2 or 3 of these fully populated at any one time across all the sites that offer them.

Don't strain yourself using that teeny brain Thundercats, if you think Party isn't making these decisions for pretty rational reasons with all the data they have at their disposal to do so you're even dumber than I think which honestly is pretty protohuman already. Doubtless Party will offer bigger games at some point if the market continues to expand but more 10/20 tables are likely in the near future but likely just a few additional tables at a time as they add servers/bandwidth.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been addressed before numerous times. New players will go broke faster at 5/10 & 10/20 than at lower stakes which means less rake, additionally, additional tables mean more SH & HU tables which most beginners are even more vulnerable at and again, they get gutted faster equating to less rake. Also additional server capacity & bandwidth just for 2-3 hours a day is expensive, people outside of the industry often vastly underestimate the costs of datacenter operations & Gibraltar can't be the cheapest spot in the world for this either. It's a logical business decision from Party's viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the bad players will go broke faster ... it still boggles my mind that inexperienced players would jump into the Party 5/10 or 10/20 game though.

As for datacenter/bandwidth concerns ... the servers for North America aren't in Gibraltar and online poker doesn't use squat for bandwidth.

mj
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, till one day they are being spread and all your theory is in the toilet, people said the same thing on 50bb party 1/2nl days 3 6max tables

[/ QUOTE ]

i would imagine that for most people in the real world, losing 1-2k may not be that big of a deal. losing 10-20k probably is.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 PM

I dont know but I still think Party would make more money if they opened a couple extra tables.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 AM

At the 1K and 2K tables are there any games anywhere online anymore where people are routinely reraising all in with Ax preflop in 4 person pots, and being called by KQo, etc?