Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Bad temper

Bad temper

Let me introduce myself first, my name is Dalibor. I live in the Netherlands ,25 year old and I have been playing poker for 4 months now. Despite the profit I make at I night I somehow end up loosing al larg part of the winnings I make the day before. I want to stop this or fiend a way how the deal with this

Aldo I dont want to admit it I have a bad temper when it comes to playing loosing sessions. Having made some good improvement the last moth (like I can loose a pot above the 100 and It wont bother me that much, but anything that crosses over that amount I just loose it and start playing badly.

Despite reading a lot of poker books, none of them sees to address this issue

That why I want to know from the people here the way they deal with this , you can contact me at my msn address: slatki_pshyco@hotmail.com

I appreciate al the help that you guys can give me
Old 04-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Bad temper

being bankrolled for the game you play is unbelievably important for curing tilt. it helped me tremendously. you start to realize that the beats are why you make money (assuming you are a pos EV player.)
Old 04-24-2006, 02:30 AM

Valium.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
being bankrolled for the game you play is unbelievably important for curing tilt. it helped me tremendously. you start to realize that the beats are why you make money (assuming you are a pos EV player.)

[/ QUOTE ]

By beiing bankrolled you mean that you should have enough money to play right?

For anyone who can help me with this I have some great new bonussen (free money, not seen at this forum)
Old 04-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Dali,
I'm rereading "The Psychology of Poker" right now, and I found the section on tilt helpful on this topic.

I'm not sure I'd recommend buying this book over others you might have, so I'll paraphrase the author's points.

Essentially, when you have a difficult time accepting bad beats or losing big pots, the problem may be your poker goals. The author distinguishes between players with a "professional" demeanor and other players, saying that professionals concentrate on making sound poker decisions, and playing solid poker (as opposed to being distracted by their ego or the money).

Examine your goals when you are playing. Is it your goal to make "x" amount of money? Is it your goal to win a table or place in a tournament? Does it become your goal to knock out a certain player, or place higher than that player? If your goal is anything other than making a succession of the best poker decisions you can, you can become vulnerable to tilt. The author says that if you make solid poker decisions, the winning will take care of itself. Also, it is easier to accept losing a hand if you played the hand correctly, or to the best of your ability. Then, if you lose a hand even when the percentages are in your favor, you can think of it this way, that percentages are not a guarantee, and occassionally the long shot will win, but in the long run you'll profit.

I can get really frustrated by "bad beats" or players who I think make bad decisions and get lucky. The author of the book addresses this. He says that those are the players that make poker profitable. If everyone played like the best professionals, it would be hard for anyone to make money. The players who make bad decisions have to profit occassionally to keep them playing. In the long run they are losers. When they profit from their mistakes, their poor decisions are reinforced. In the long run, we will profit from those mistakes. But in the short run, anything can happen.

That may or may not help, but as a poker player, it's all you've got. GL
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dali,
I'm rereading "The Psychology of Poker" right now, and I found the section on tilt helpful on this topic.

I'm not sure I'd recommend buying this book over others you might have, so I'll paraphrase the author's points.

Essentially, when you have a difficult time accepting bad beats or losing big pots, the problem may be your poker goals. The author distinguishes between players with a "professional" demeanor and other players, saying that professionals concentrate on making sound poker decisions, and playing solid poker (as opposed to being distracted by their ego or the money).

Examine your goals when you are playing. Is it your goal to make "x" amount of money? Is it your goal to win a table or place in a tournament? Does it become your goal to knock out a certain player, or place higher than that player? If your goal is anything other than making a succession of the best poker decisions you can, you can become vulnerable to tilt. The author says that if you make solid poker decisions, the winning will take care of itself. Also, it is easier to accept losing a hand if you played the hand correctly, or to the best of your ability. Then, if you lose a hand even when the percentages are in your favor, you can think of it this way, that percentages are not a guarantee, and occassionally the long shot will win, but in the long run you'll profit.

I can get really frustrated by "bad beats" or players who I think make bad decisions and get lucky. The author of the book addresses this. He says that those are the players that make poker profitable. If everyone played like the best professionals, it would be hard for anyone to make money. The players who make bad decisions have to profit occassionally to keep them playing. In the long run they are losers. When they profit from their mistakes, their poor decisions are reinforced. In the long run, we will profit from those mistakes. But in the short run, anything can happen.

That may or may not help, but as a poker player, it's all you've got. GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I am done reading that book by Alen schoonmaker. In his opionion I am a loose agressive player, someone who is addicted to action a likes to dominate tthe table.

Unfortunatly i had to admit that his discription was right. Ungainst my will I have tighten up my game and am doing better now

He is also right when he says that you should focus on the long term wich I sofar have not done. This means NOT that I have fixed the problem, still having a lot of trouble dealing with a bad beat. I now play a MTT when I take a bad beat couse there is a limited amout of money which you can loose out there. When the tournament go's on Im am relaxed again and more important meantaly stable to hiot the tables again

Thanks for your repley, If you want to take my offer for the bonussen the offer is still valid
Old 04-24-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For anyone who can help me with this I have some great new bonussen (free money, not seen at this forum)

[/ QUOTE ]

meaning having 30 + buy ins for NL, 60+ buy ins for SNGs, or 500 BBs in limit. a bad streak won't absolutely ruin you and you can move down need be,
Old 04-24-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meaning having 30 + buy ins for NL, 60+ buy ins for SNGs, or 500 BBs in limit. a bad streak won't absolutely ruin you and you can move down need be,

[/ QUOTE ]

This means that when you play 100NL you should have a MIN of 3K? So you can handle the swings that will eventuely come
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This means that when you play 100NL you should have a MIN of 3K? So you can handle the swings that will eventuely come

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

Min is 2k should be sufficient, even less for a good player, but 3k is good
Old 04-25-2006, 09:31 AM

@ Green Kool aid: within a few days I will start to play some NL poker. I will make a deposit of 200. This means that I WILL play ONLY the 10NL, untill I have a bigger bankroll and start playing my own (100NL) again. This will require a lot of discipline for me but i DONT want to be broke again so therefor I have no choise:P

Stil I want a opinian about a thing, lets say you had a verry good day at the 10Nl table , is it wise to try a bigger table wtih the winnigs of that day(only for that one time of course)