Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM

Default River Decision--Straight-$2/4

No real reads here. Villain has been pretty unassuming, seems solid from what little I've seen.

No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($424)
Button ($315.20)
SB ($228.80)
BB ($254.50)
UTG ($706.60)
Hero ($648.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, CO calls $16, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($38) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $26</font>, CO calls $26.

Turn: ($90) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $68</font>, Hero calls $68.

River: ($226) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $314 (All-In)</font>, Hero ????

Who calls and who folds and why?

Regards,

Fin
Old 04-23-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: River Decision--Straight-$2/4

I would call and hope to see a set

6card straight beats set
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 PM

This is a really, really hard spot and I think it's really close. Solid opponents would play a flush the exact same way he did, but obviously his hand range is way wider than this. I think this probably leans toward a call because he knows this is a hard board for you to call anything on.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:24 PM

I call here.

The reason being, he knows you don't have a flush. Now that's an obvious statement, but what I mean is, he might do this with a wide range of hands hoping to get called. Furthermore, he might bluff (although I doubt this is a bluff). I doubt he has JT in your range; but he might think you have something like QK, AK, etc. Thus, he reads you for a strong hand and hopes to get called. So, I call and expect to win a nice pot more often than I rebuy.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call here.

The reason being, he knows you don't have a flush. Now that's an obvious statement, but what I mean is, he might do this with a wide range of hands hoping to get called. Furthermore, he might bluff (although I doubt this is a bluff). I doubt he has JT in your range; but he might think you have something like QK, AK, etc. Thus, he reads you for a strong hand and hopes to get called. So, I call and expect to win a nice pot more often than I rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. He is hoping for a call and we should call??

Also, does anyone play this differently from the turn on?

Thanks,

Fin
Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 PM

Ya we should call b/c he doesn't realize that we're as strong as we are.

What I was trying to say is he might do this push with a wide range of hands, many of which we beat.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 AM

I don't think he would make such a big overbet with a hand you beat, hoping to get called by a worse hand, even though there are three spades out. Would he kill his action by pretending to have a flush? I don't think most opponents think at the level Blue suggested. The fact that this is an overbet makes this a fold for me. Yes, he could have a set, but it's much more likely that he has a flush, IMO.

Yes, it sucks to fold a straight if you might well be ahead, but in many situations, you'd fold TPTK facing a flush, knowing he either has it or is bluffing. I don't see how this situation is any different.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:35 AM

I'd probably call since you disguised your hand well enough. I'd also probably lead turn.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he would make such a big overbet with a hand you beat, hoping to get called by a worse hand, even though there are three spades out. Would he kill his action by pretending to have a flush? I don't think most opponents think at the level Blue suggested. The fact that this is an overbet makes this a fold for me. Yes, he could have a set, but it's much more likely that he has a flush, IMO.

Yes, it sucks to fold a straight if you might well be ahead, but in many situations, you'd fold TPTK facing a flush, knowing he either has it or is bluffing. I don't see how this situation is any different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. At the time I thought pretty clearly he either has the flush or air (possibly bluffing with a marginal hand). I didn't have PT running at the time but later find out villain is pretty tight and has a high 62% W$SD. I probably should have folded. I called though and was shown A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Regards,

Fin