Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: I am worthless

Calling off your chips with Ace rag is pretty horrid. How anyone can say that this is not that bad is just kidding themselves. This is a terrible play. The preflop raise was more than necessary and when the guy comes over the top all in, this hand becomes UNPLAYABLE, period.

If he bet 40k he would have almost 10BB stack and plenty of chips to make a move with a better hand.

oh, btw, he is not priced into calling off his chips with a TOTALLY SUBSTANDARD hand.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:27 PM

This really isn't that awful. But it isn't a good play either in my opinion. What are you looking to accomplish with the raise? All you should really be looking for here with the A6 is the blinds which are a nice size so just push. If you think making that call after raising is truly awful then the push is really the correct move. If your going to raise and fold to a reraise then your going to be folding to a lot of hands that your beating (broadways) and a lot of hands that ur hand will be +ev to with all the money in the pot (small pairs).
Old 04-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the helpful comments. I agree with the contingent that says it was a terrible move, for the record.

Ironically if I had just pushed all in and lost, I wouldn't necessarily feel that bad at all.

In any case now that I've admitted what I've done on a public message board I feel better (sort of like a Priest's confessional) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Good luck to you all + thanks...
Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 PM

I did something similar, actually probably worse, yesterday in the Full Tilt WSOP 20 seat freeroll. We were down to 40 from an original 665, and top 20 get a seat (I already have a seat but I could really use the 10gs...)

Blinds were 1000/2000 and I had about 18k. Got A9o in the BB and called an all-in from villain who had been moving in repeatedly, and this time he was on the button and it folded to him so I thought his range was fairly wide. But it's still a stupid call, right? Even if I'm a favorite, I'm most likely not gonna be a huge favorite, so I don't think I need to gamble there. My stack is certainly small enough that I'm gonna push A9o from any position I think, but I think it's big enough that I don't need to call this.

So yeah, 3 hours of getting lucky/playing decent, and then I do one stupid thing and come out with nothing.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, the dumbest thing ever done was when I forgot my cards, called a river bet thinking I had top two pair, and I had nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I dreamed of that last night. LoL!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, btw, he is not priced into calling off his chips with a TOTALLY SUBSTANDARD hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this player it may or may not have been right to call, I can't say because I don't know the opponent. But the answer here is simple math and the jamming range of the opponent. You do understand math, right? Whether his hand is "TOTALLY SUBSTANDARD" or not is pretty irrelevant at this point.

-ActionBob
Old 04-23-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to assume, if hes going all in hes either got a pair or have you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lets assume for a moment we know his range to be any pair and lets give him for argument sake any AT or higher. You've got 35% equity against this range and getting about 2-1 to call so certainly something to think about. Now imagine your equity against players who's jamming range is bigger than this (You don't seem to think thats the case but trust me, there are MANY), would you fold to them?

-ActionBob
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have to assume, if hes going all in hes either got a pair or have you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lets assume for a moment we know his range to be any pair and lets give him for argument sake any AT or higher. You've got 35% equity against this range and getting about 2-1 to call so certainly something to think about. Now imagine your equity against players who's jamming range is bigger than this (You don't seem to think thats the case but trust me, there are MANY), would you fold to them?

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but your name is "ActionBob", so you'd probably call here with like 34s or something, right?

[/sarcasm]

JoshNjuice
Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Yeah, it's kind of like the "naked in school" or "late to finals" dreams. You wake up screaming.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:57 PM

Open pushing is *terrible*. Really, really, really terrible. You have 12.5 BB - if your opponents call with any reasonable range, it's not even +cEV (I think it's about break even) and hideously -$EV; if my only choices were all in or fold, I would actually open fold.

I would default to raising/folding this, just like you do with something like T9s or QTo or any one of a number of other hands that you basically raise in case you are just called. There is also a sizable chunk of opponents that will resteal with anything, against whom this is quite properly a raise/call. (This is the other half of the reason you just open raise; rather than just get called by things you hate, you can at least induce a bluff push and give yourself a decision to make. Being afraid of the decision is a bad reason to push unless you are certain you'll make the wrong one.) Here, your opponent is a good player and even though I forget how he plays he's probably aggro enough to push trash so it's close either way. gg.

The point is that pushing with 13 BB generally sucks.