Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Default 200 NL, what do people think of this bluff 3bet the turn

Villain has been running over the table which is why i called from position with such rubbish.

I'm quite new to the table and I think villain thinks i'm a bit fishy (I'm not honest!) been playing solid Tag for about 35-40 hands (i'm 24/13 vpip/pfr dunno what i'm @ on the table though)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($196.80)
SB ($207.15)
BB ($210)
UTG ($281.70)
MP ($16.20)
CO ($757.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $8, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($19) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $28</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>,
Old 04-21-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: 200 NL, what do people think of this bluff 3bet the turn

I hate pre flop call even against an aggressive player. Bet flop if you are trying to represent a made hand. As played check behind on turn and fold river. If he has been "running over the table" isn't it a little surprising he checked flop and turn? You are bluffing without even any over cards. This play needs to work more than 1/2 the time for it to be a positive expectation...what's your plan for river when he calls?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:31 AM

This looks like a spew. You have no hand and no outs and you're representing nothing against a player who apparently dislikes folding and doesn't trust your bets?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 AM

folding the river if/when he calls
Old 04-21-2006, 10:33 AM

I didn't see him checking a decent hand to me twice, it was as simple as that and my bet looked like a bluff because I was playing tight aggressive and his raise looked like a rebluff to me...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM

you're right i probably shoulda just mucked preflop i just really thought I'd be in good shape from the flop onwards ,thoguht i could get out cheaply if required but equally make a play if required.

Anyway he folded so i musta had some information which I didn't put in my original post, or maybe I just got lucky this time.

Thanks though, I wont call this preflop in future just J9s is sexy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 AM

If you're going to take a stand, just reraise preflop.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:55 AM

Probably spewing. I don't think Villain has a big hand here that often, but often enough that it's a -EV play. If you bet the flop, it's another story.

That said, I try *&amp;$% like this all the time.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM

It's not the most terrible play b/c you could be right, but I think it's pretty bad in general.

It's conceivable that this guy could check the flop in fear that you, a really tight guy, could be slowplaying a made hand and he completely missed. That's why if you cc with J9s pf (which is bad), you MUST bet this flop. The whole reason that makes J9s +EV to call against a villain is that you have position and you can take it down when he misses and checks, if he plays that way. You can't play J9s to hit b/c it doesn't hit well enough, often enough. So you play to steal pots when he misses. If you can't do that, wait for a REAL hand and then own him.

On the turn, just as with the flop, villain is either really strong or really weak. When he c/r you, he only did the minimum; that actually scares me, like he wants to be called. You still have nothing, so I fold--let him have it. If he's totally bluffing like that-you can catch him with a real hand. Why risk it?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 AM

thanks for the responses - good point skeme.