Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 05:55 AM

Default Serious(!) moving up question

Firstly I have to apologise in advance for the amount of these posts there are just I'd like to:

1) Get my thought process out on paper.
2) Get views from people who have almost certainly been in this situation (You guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Firstly I'm currently playing 100 NL with 24/13 stats and over my last 70,000 hands my PTBB/100 is 12.8 or so so I've been running well and playing well in my opinion. Certainly its rare I see someone on a table whom I consider better than myself. (6 max this is)

Now my bankroll is in the 6k region so enough to take a shot at 1/2 which I have done but have about a 2.4 PTBB/100 winrate over 2500 hands or so. I admit this is a very small sample size it's just I don't seem to find the same opportunities to get the double ups in 200 NL which just seem to smack me in the face every 20 minutes at 100 NL (4 tabling) I think I've doubled through twice in the 2500 hands I played and once was with a really tough AK call on the river vs a missed JQ up down straight draw. (board was paired and otherwise king high, and he pushed for the pot size when the flush hit the river - he was on tiltage though) And the other was flopped set vs KK so.

Basically I'd like imput from people as to whether or not with my current win rate at 0.5/1 and the abundance of fish is it worth staying down or coming up - basically any experiences you have/had at 1/2 and how you found it when you started. Is it quite possible I can achieve a winrate of >>6.5 PTBB/100 at 1/2 if I can achieve such a winrate at 0.5/1?

If you don't have that much time I'd be happy with a response of "move up" or "stay down in the paddling pool" But if you do have a minute I'd prefer it if you could at least give me a short sentence as to what you think.

Thank you very much you guys are excellent.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Serious(!) moving up question

I'm sorry - does this post belong in small stakes? I was under the impression 200-600 was medium but i've seen some 1k nl hands posted here.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 AM

Honestly I don't see much of a difference in the play level between 100 and 200. But even if your winrate did drop, a moveup would be beneficial in the long-run, because the tougher competition you face the better you become. Plus there is no limit to what you can make if you end up succeeding and eventually becoming a high limit star.

I always advocate taking occasional shots without the roll, definitely move up if you have the roll and feel confident in your ability.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 AM

thank you very much for your reply, I was looking for a response like that as I didn't see that much difference from 50-100 when I moved up.

Excellent response, if people agree with that could they just do a 1 word "agree" or whatever.

Thanks.

I didn't really consider the long term moving up to 400-600 etc. Good point.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 AM

12.8PTBB? WTF just move up.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 AM

Ok excellent no more responses needed guys thank you very much.