Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Default question about a hand....

Last week i was playing 2-5NL at foxwoods and was pretty much destroying the table the whole time....well one hand still sticks out in my mind cause this guy got under my skin with his comments, here is how it unfolded:

-im in the BB with KQo
-5 limpers SB and me, so 7 to the flop, $35 in the pot
-flop comes Q-7-9 with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s on board
-SB checks, i lead out $30, 2 callers, $125 in the pot
-turn is another 7
-i lead out again, $90, 1 call, other guy folds $305 in the pot
-river is a rag [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] making a possible flush

-i was not really worried about the flush only because he would have had to call like half his stack to make his flush that very well coulda been squashed, only hand i was worried about was 99 which from his position seemed possible he was the 3rd limper(97 raises the flop, Q9 raise turn, any 7 SHOULD have folded to my lead bet)....instead of value betting the river, i checked to him, figured i'd let him see it for free.

-he bets $80 of his remaining ~$125 into a $300 pot, for some reason it seemed very fishy, i knew he was full of bologna, and i was very close to just putting him all in considering he didnt have much left and i still had ~$1200 in front of me, but i didnt, i ended up just calling.

-he said great call (sarcastically) and showed j-10 [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
-he then proceeded to rebuy and mock my play for the next hour....kind of annoyed me but i dont like to make waves when i play.

so my question is, was my check/call on the river incorrect? should i have put him all in? should i have lead out again with a value bet on the river?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Re: question about a hand....

Any value bet you make on the river is going to make any hand you beat fold and any hand that beats you raise. If you were pretty sure he didn't have hearts, then check/call seems like a good play to me.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:23 PM

His turn call was a sucker play. Let him make fun of you.

When he called your $90 turn bet, he had $215 in his stack--he stood to win at most $465 (not counting the money he had yet to put in) if he made his open-ended straight. That would be BARELY enough pot odds to justify a call even if there weren't so many negative-implied-odds factors: he could have made his straight and been beat by a flush; he could have failed to get full value if you folded to his all-in bet; or (what actually did happen) his missed draw might cost him more than $90.

If suckers want to make fun of my play while losing their money to me, I will not only let them--I will egg them on all I can.

"Oh, you're right...I'm an idiot...I know I shouldn't be going all-in right now, but what else can I do?"
Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If suckers want to make fun of my play while losing their money to me, I will not only let them--I will egg them on all I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear you, it just bothered me for some reason....i mean alright you dont like the play, fine, state your peace, but dont whine about it under your breath like a D-bag for the next hour....

anyways thanks for the comments....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 PM

The check-call is a cautious play. There's a lot of money in the pot already - why not see what the flat-caller does on the river? Was he slowplaying a monster? Fishing for a flush/straight? It sounds like you did have more info on him from previous hands, which probably helped.

The check allows you to get lots of info. If he checks, you'll know in a second if you had him beat. If you bet, and he reraises, you're probably stomped, but you have to call for pot odds.

If you check, as you did, and he bets, you can tell a lot. You figured he was fishy - why bet 2/3 of your stack and keep the rest back? Why no all-in if you rivered your flush or have trips?

If you're betting hard, and he's calling, trying to trap or hit a draw and trap you, $80 seems like an odd bet, considering how much money was in the pot.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 AM

Your check/call earned you another $80. He's going to fold a busted draw if you lead at him again.

Inducing a bluff is a thing of beauty.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:45 PM

If he was going to try and trap you, he'd have bet a smaller amount, the fact his final bet was a good percentage of his stack should have rung bells to say he's trying to steal the pot away as any lower OR higher bet would have proved he had you beat. In my opinion, I'd have check/raised all in, he'd either call you and you'd take more money off him or have would have folded proving to everyone he tried to bluff as not calling your all in when he had a hand would be stupid with so little chips left.