Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Credit card debt

Well, I'm over my credit card limit and I'm having a hard time paying this off. On top of that, my APR isn't what I was told it would be when I signed up(about a year ago), and I also didn't realize that it would automatically make cash advances out of it when I went below a certain amount. Is there anything I can do about the balances accrued because of this?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Credit card debt

+you mean they are taking cash advances when what is below a certain amount?

+read the fine print. is the APR adjustable? do they get to jack it up if you are late?

+get a better credit card or some other type of loan and pay off and cancel the credit card.

or

+contact them and complain and they may reduce your APR b/c they won't want to lose you as a customer.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:17 AM

Credit card debt is overrated, no need to pay it off.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:18 AM

Call them up and tell them that you are planning on canceling the card. When they say why, tell them you have another card with a 6.9% APR that you just got and want to save money on the interest rate. They should almost immediately drop your rate down. Then depending on whether the person you're talking to speaks english or not, you can often get them to remove some of over previous over limit fees. Also, make sure you have like 5% of total balance available and send it to them immediately - to avoid going over your limit any time soon and to use as a bargining chip when you talk to them. These companies aren't super happy that you haven't been sending them money and can work with you somewhat.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:23 AM

seriously,

sign up for a 0% apr card and transfer your balance to that one. keep doing the 0% apr credit card dance until you get it paid off.

if you miss a min payment most credit cards stick it in their contract they can jack your apr to whatever they want. just make sure you always get the min payment in.