Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 PM

Default rivered trips facing reraise

Villain is TAG - 27/8/2

This was the last hand i played in a losing session that included flopping top set K's against AA and losing to a runner runner str8, flopping bottom set 2's on a flop of 246r HU against the preflop raiser, losing all in to J3o when the river came a 5, flopping a set of J's on an AJ4r flop losing to quads when the turn filled me up with a 4. Allthis in ony 300 hands!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($137.95)
UTG ($79.72)
MP ($62.65)
Button ($69.88)
Hero ($94)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $3.5</font>, BB calls $3, MP calls $3.

Flop: ($12) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, BB calls $8, MP folds.

Turn: ($28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($58) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30.46</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $77.6</font> Hero ?

Comments all the way appreciated, my thoughts were - bet more on the flop, bet the turn when it makes two flush draws possible, maybe c/c the river letting the likely missed draw bluff. As you can tell I hate this hand, I think previous hands had an effect on how i played it. What do you think?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: rivered trips facing reraise

I call. It could so easily be KQ but I just can't find a fold here. I also bet the turn here, awful lot of draws out there.

Sounds like a sick session. You have my sympathy.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:26 PM

Raise to $5 preflop, maybe even 6, you are in the worst position and want the hand over quick. Also just calling preflop is not awful since it's only 3 handed. I really don't like the smaller raise because it gets you into a 3-way raised pot OOP.

Pot the flop.
Bet the turn, about 2/3 pot.

With TPTK oop I'm just going bet-bet-bet on drawy boards.

As played, on the river it sure smells like a house. I don't think a TAG would raise with KJ, though it's possible you're splitting with another AK. Tough fold with those pot odds though.

The argument for betting the river is he might call with Kx but check behind if you check.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:31 PM

How do you decide between checking and betting this turn? Our hand is vulnerable but has showdown value. Villain has shown he likes his hand by calling the flop and a big draw to the flush, the nut str8 , another AK, maybe KQ are likely holdings even in combination. I really don't like my hand much on this turn.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 PM

I would put him on AK or KQ.. I doubt he would have called $8 on a flush draw with you holding the Ah and he would have had to get rid of a hand like 77 on the flop as well. I think his turn bet was to get you away from flushing.. just my guess, but i'm not that great of a player.. sounds like a nasty session though..

edit: I think the most likely hand for him would be AK.. He would have certainly raised you on the flop with QQ or KQ with two flush and two straigh cards on the board
Old 04-18-2006, 03:01 PM

i would c/r this river, but as played i think its close between calling and folding.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM

*Grunching*

I'd raise more preflop. 3.5 BB isnt enough in EP with a limper. I'd make it 5 (4xBB +1xBB per limper is my standard). I'd bet more on flop, probably 10. Then I'd bet about 20 on the turn. If he calls that I'd start getting nervous and probably check call the river. Despite the fact that you hit your trips, you aren't beating anyting you werent beating before unless he's playing Q5 or Q7.

EDIT: As played, I'd probably make a crying call on the river. There's always the possibility he's overplaying KJ or KT and that river made him think you didnt have him outkicked. Then again, I lose a lot of money in situations like these.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 PM

Raise a little more pf.

Bet the turn.

c/c the river.

As played your getting a too good a price to fold. I think you'll see a worse K or missed flush enough to make it +ev.

Paul
Old 04-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Ok raise more preflop confuses me. I don't understand your thinking.

We lose more in SB position than any other position. We're playing AK, not aces. Our bet looks stronger just because we're willing to raise OOP. Why throw in a 6 dollar raise when a 4 dollar means the same thing?

Besides that, wouldn't we want the pots we play in OOP to be relatively smaller than the pots we play in position? Since we're going to be slightly -EV OOP than in position in the long run anyways. I realize we need some sort of hand here that will throw off people so that raise from SB doesn't equal aces....It may be obvious to them anyways that when we play the hand its not aces. I like the idea of using JT suited or something, since if we hit the flop real hard their gunna be left wondering wtf is going on (purely deception value).

EDIT: I meant to say a large raise doesn't equal Aces. From SB I definitely want to be able to make a "big ridonculous raise"....Aces for us here are a fairly likely holding, especially once the river hits, I think if u check the river you'll get a lot of people with KQ very happy thinking their up against rockets...