Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Worst Trade in the last decade of the MLB - Your Opinion

White Sox trade at the time wimpy/crappy Sammy Sosa for George Bell in 1992. If they only knew he would juice up massively on roids and turn to a HR hitter from a fast guy that strikes out conistently.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 AM

What is this doing on this list? Those were all bad players.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:20 AM

That's another "in retrospect" terrible deal.

Oh, I thought of a good one. Paul Konerko and Dennys Reyes(I think) for Jeff Shaw. At the time Konerko was considered an absolutely lights out uberprospect.

Correcting above:
Kevin Seitzer was traded for Jeromy Burnitz, not Richie Sexson. Sexson(with Paul Rigdon and Kane Davis) was traded for Bob Wickman/SteveWoodard/JasonBere, and it wasn't a terrible deal at the time. Sexson wasn't that good with the Indians and they desperately needed pitching.

In hindsight McGwire for Blake Stein and 2 other scrubs was a disaster, though I believe they were highly regarded prospects.

Another special acheivement was the ~2001 A's outfield of Je.Giambi/Damon/Dye, three decent players acquired from the Royals for whom the Royals received Roberto Hernandez and Neifi Perez(2 of the trades were a 3 team deal and any potential good players the Royals may have received were offloaded to the other team.)
Old 04-18-2006, 04:53 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
Sexson(with Paul Rigdon and Kane Davis) was traded for Bob Wickman/SteveWoodard/JasonBere, and it wasn't a terrible deal at the time. Sexson wasn't that good with the Indians and they desperately needed pitching.

[/ QUOTE ]

the analysts were all correctly dogging the indians when they made this trade. adding woodard and bere to a staff that desperately needed pitching was the baseball equivalent of pouring gasoline on a fire. check out their numbers from the years leading up to the trade and tell me if you can figure out what the indians saw in them.

i agree that wickman was pretty good for the indians, but so was ricardo rincon, and i don't see too many people touting his acquisition.

sexson was a lot better after the trade, but i would be damn happy if the cubs could generate one prospect in the last 20 years whose comparables list looks like this one (from before the trade): link
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
Another special acheivement was the ~2001 A's outfield of Je.Giambi/Damon/Dye, three decent players acquired from the Royals for whom the Royals received Roberto Hernandez and Neifi Perez(2 of the trades were a 3 team deal and any potential good players the Royals may have received were offloaded to the other team.)

[/ QUOTE ]

they also played a big part in relieving the royals of carlos beltran for three "prospects" who have little to no chance to become great major leaguers. billy beane must love allard baird.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 AM

AAA Kansas City [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]