Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: I OWE MORE TAXES THAN MY ACTUAL NET

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you read the thread where irs called a guy a pro who had 20,000 income and another full time job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I've also read the court cases/irs decisions not letting people file as a pro without meeting the 3-year test and the substantial non-poker income test.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read the recent tax court case where the taxpayer had $234 of gambling income and substantially more (76 times as much) income from his job?

Answer in White: <font color="white"> He was considered to be a professional gambler. </font>
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you read the thread where irs called a guy a pro who had 20,000 income and another full time job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I've also read the court cases/irs decisions not letting people file as a pro without meeting the 3-year test and the substantial non-poker income test.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read the recent tax court case where the taxpayer had $234 of gambling income and substantially more (76 times as much) income from his job?

Answer in White: <font color="white"> He was considered to be a professional gambler. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That unfortunately doesn't mean much other than we have hope if we want to go to tax court over the issue ourselves.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That unfortunately doesn't mean much other than we have hope if we want to go to tax court over the issue ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which, in turn, means something to the IRS.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 PM

blendedsuit,

If it is possible for you, I'd suggest moving to a state without a state income tax. That way you only have to deal with federal taxes on your gambling winnings. It will save you a lot of heartache and money. Unfortunately, many states have very nasty rules when it comes to gambling winnings. If you live in a place w/o a state income tax, it will save you a lot trouble in the future.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 AM

yeah, i was thinking about moving to new hampshire or nevada. but all the other mass players deal with this somehow. maybe i'lll just stop playing cards.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM

I guess technically if you win $100,000 and lose $150,000 playing poker, you would owe Mass. $5,000. Go figure [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

How many grannies who play at Foxwoods keep records though?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can you provide a link to the case?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:49 PM

Rest assured that an audit is in your future. We do not appreciate such comments.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:17 PM

This is a huge flaw disadvantage in the system.