Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 12:35 AM

Default WPT - Action Dan, Ming Ly, classic weak when strong

Curious if anyone else has notice this of late or if it's just the fact that I can see the cards it sticks out.

Watching the WPT tonight (tivo'd) and at least 2 occasions stuck in my mind. Good players almost never recheck cards and whey they do it's almost always to muck to a bet/raise.

Dan Harringon rechecked flopped set of aces before betting out. Ming made the nut straight and rechecks his hand before betting. Just classic weak when strong acting jobs and I don't recall anyone ever rechecking their cards and then making a bluff bet. I'm sure it's happened, but it seems really rare compared to the "recheck means power".

Am I just biased by knowing the cards?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Re: WPT - Action Dan, Ming Ly, classic weak when strong

yes you are biased.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 PM

"Good players almost never recheck cards and whey they do it's almost always to muck to a bet/raise."

Wish it were that simple.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Good players almost never recheck cards and whey they do it's almost always to muck to a bet/raise."

Wish it were that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only see a small set of hands on TV, but seems like almost every time before they muck to a bet the player rechecks their cards. Not sure why, but they do.

The WPT episode that happened, but the couple rechecks that weren't folds were simply acting jobs. Made it look like recheck+bet = power rather than weakness.

I play live so rarely though that I have no idea how often real player recheck cards.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:20 PM

I actually think it's funny when they do recheck. I'd like to think any poker player worth the seat they are sitting in wouldn't have to check. It's especially funny when Chris Ferguson does it...like HE doesn't remember.