Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 AM

Default Re: KQ turns top two. how\'s my line?

Does villain seem the type who would coldcall a raise and a reraise without closing the action, with a few people left to act, one of whom is the original raiser?

That would call for some very good cards, I would think, and JT doesn't seem to fit those standards. Unless you feel the guy is one of those types addicted to calling with suited connectors -- even then, JTs seems pushing it, but you never know I spoze.

He'd further have to be the type who loves playing draws heads up without good pot odds. There are a ton of guys like that, and they definitely overlap with the type who might call a raise and reraise without closing the action with only JTs. But still, you've narrowed the possible type of player who can hurt you here even further into unlikely donkishness.

Somehow I feel trips or a hand like a suited ace of diamonds, giving him top flush draw, might be more likely. Especially if that flush draw has a pair with one of the cards on board, so he has two ways to fight you.

Unfortunately, I can also see AK here, played just for overcards. In which case, the river kills you, but you are ahead on the turn and should punish him for any drawing hands or inferior pair(s) he has. I just seem him with many more possible uncompleted draws than ones that have hit home.

If he has a set, he has a set, and it doesn't matter which one beats you. But I don't think you can throw away top two pair to a single min-raise.

The river check seems fine. There are too many cards out there that can hurt you at that point.

A side note -- wouldn't raising back the turn make him more likely to check the river if the perfect card came out for him, and the worst one for you, in order to trap you?

If so, then a disaster card on the river may mean you get a free ride instead of getting stacked.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Re: KQ turns top two. how\'s my line?

other than raising pf the first time around... you really ought to fold when the SB raises. KQo is a hand I almost never call a raise with.

And dbitel... i can't believe you're telling people about the equation