Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Good Credit Score - Will closing CC accounts make it better?

My credit score is in the high 700s based solely on about 6 years worth of responsible credit card usage. I had read before about how having a lot of credit cards with high credit limits is a negative factor on your score. I imagine this would be because I could just go nuts one day and max out all my cards.

However, I also heard that closing a lot of unnecessary credit card accounts can be bad for your score because it reduces your credit-to-debt ratio... and also because it reduces the average age of your credit.

So yeah - I'm confused, but would like to improve my score and see if I can reach 800...

I have over a dozen open credit card accounts and I only use two of them (my AMEX and I have a MC for places that don't take AMEX). The AMEX has a very respectable credit line and will likely never be maxed out... so I really and truly have no use for these other cards. They're just sitting in a drawer at home. I'm told that your % of debt in relation to your credit should always be less than 15%, and since I don't carry a balance on any cards, that should never be a problem.

So... can anybody with real life experience on the subject make any suggestions? Should I just leave everything alone and rely on age and responsible credit usage to increase my score? Should I close all of my needless card accounts tomorrow? Should I do it little by little?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Good Credit Score - Will closing CC accounts make it better?

finance and investing forum?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Good Credit Score - Will closing CC accounts make it better?

You know, I didn't even know we had a finance & investing forum. I'll post it there.

Mod delete this plz thx sorry