Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM

Default How would you play this flop?

I thought I would try to protect my hand with the flop raise. Is my assumption wrong?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (22.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB calls $1.50 (All-In), MP3 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB
Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: How would you play this flop?

I would play the flop the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], although im more interested in the turn
Old 04-16-2006, 01:11 PM

looks like BB hit his T, so yea, good fold. This is how I play it.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:21 PM

grunch

I play it the same way you did. Top pair decent kicker you have to raise. The turn is horrible for you, five players still in the pot, what are the chances a ten is out there? Awfully good and thats the one card you need. Probably have to fold to one bet on the turn.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:01 PM

*grunch*
I play it the same way. I don't know why you wouldn't raise the flop.

I call and fold the turn same. Seems standard to me.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM

nh. preflop and flop are all good. I dont mind the first call on the turn but its an easy fold when its two back to you.

BTW BB could be stacking off his last few chips but MP3 looks to have the goods.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 AM

PizzaDude

Definitely raise this flop every time.

However, I like folding the turn for one bet here. I'm fairly certain it's the +EV play to calling that bet and then folding. You raised the flop, got 2 cold callers and the original bettor called.

Without going into the math too much, you are almost always (over 95% of the time) behind on the turn card. What's worse, a King or Queen is highly unlikely to help you. You need a ten. But, at least one of your opponents has a T with the added possibility that someone has a flush draw ruining another T and costing you money if that card hits.

But the real kicker here is your "relative position". Meaning the turn bettor is directly to your right with two opponents left to act who cold called your raise on the flop. IMO, this makes them very likely to have a straight already or some other hand that is strong relative to yours. This sums up to be about the worst possible position for you. When you find yourself with a weak hand or a weak draw and you are in terrible position, save some money and make a good fold.

Now, had you been the last player to act and the action went Bet, Call, Call on the turn - calculate your pot odds with about 2 outs and see if you can call.

Sorry about ignoring your subject line... but this seems like a place to get your EV higher.

soda
Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 AM

Grunch.

I play it the same way.

You raised and still had two folks call two cold. Your top pair 2nd kicker isn't looking so good at that point.

I think the only worse turn for you would have been the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I like the call, and laydown.

nh.