Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Butchered AQ in the SB Turn Decision

Yeah not three betting the flop was dumb. The two flop cold calls froze me up. I felt one of them could be a draw but that one of them was probably a set and I correctly put BB on a range of AA KK or AK which left me in pretty bad shape overall.

Anyway after the two turn CCs I folded, the river bricked, BB showed KK and UTG showed A8 clubs. DOH.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah not three betting the flop was dumb. The two flop cold calls froze me up. I felt one of them could be a draw but that one of them was probably a set and I correctly put BB on a range of AA KK or AK which left me in pretty bad shape overall.

Anyway after the two turn CCs I folded, the river bricked, BB showed KK and UTG showed A8 clubs. DOH.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the problem with not defining your hand. in this case it may have induced you to fold the best hand in a big pot. if the hand was played typically and you received that type of heat on the turn it would be an easy fold. as it was played i would be more apt to go to showdown knowing my underrepresentation caused enough misunderstanding/misjudgment to induce someone into overplaying a worse hand.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB looks like a bit of a donk.

I decide to bet out hoping the BB raises to knock out the field.

I correctly put BB on a range of AA KK or AK

[/ QUOTE ]

Something is wrong here I think.

Also, unless BB is a maniac and the other guys know it, I really don't see how hoping for him to raise here could possibly be right.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:02 PM

A c/r will not protect your hand when the pfr is 1 seat to your left. Everyone who wants to continue will have called BB bet by the time you c/r.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI - the only Ace I raise in the blinds against reasonable and unkown players is AK. I don't think limping AQ here is bad at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is reasonable. However, if you disguish your strength pf and then hit the flop you should c/r the field. When you're ahead you get bets in and you may get some of the information you're thinking might be out there in this particular hand.

In any case, get aggressive early you earn more and learn more in a field like this.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A c/r will not protect your hand when the pfr is 1 seat to your left. Everyone who wants to continue will have called BB bet by the time you c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats why I changed my plan and bet out. No doubt though that I screwed this hand up royally. That's why I posted it.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:54 PM

clear raise PF, but then again you know that....
3 bet the flop... as is, i think you have to fold the turn
Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It implicitly protects your hand because the players who can call one bet with odds can't call two bets with odds. Although they're only doing it one bet at a time, in the end they still ended up putting more money in on the flop than they can profitably.

To make this more clear, let's have a hypothetical situation where you are second to act on the flop. The first player bets out, everyone has odds to call one bet but not two. You know that everyone will call two bets anyway. You should still raise.

Protecting your hand means forcing your opponents to fold or <i>call without odds</i>. By c/r the turn, your opponents ended up doing the latter (although many probably didn't have odds to call the first bet anyway, and that's even better for you.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen this way too many times at 2/4 not to get to showdown....and i'm 3 betting pre-flop and the flop as well.