Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Isn\'t the pot big enough?

I felt very fishy playing this hand, but I kept telling myself that the size of the pot justified my calls. Am just making an excuse to play a bad hand?

I don't have any reads other than the table is fairly passive.

7 Card Stud High ($0.10/$0.20), Ante $0.02, Bring-In $0.05 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (8.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (7.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (25.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (31.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (34.70 BB)
Old 04-15-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Isn\'t the pot big enough?

Third and fourth are clear folds.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:12 AM

The call on third street is pretty bad. You really have no possibilities to speak of. The call on fourth is also not good. To play a hand like a three-flush on fourth street, your cards should be very live, or you should have something else working for you, such as some high cards or a pair. The one good thing is that your call closes the action, but I don't think that this swings your decision to a call.

On fifth street, you've seen 23 cards. That leaves 29 unseen, five of which are spades. I make it that you have a 32% chance of making a flush. This is not the same as having a 32% chance of winning, as you have a lot of opponents, a couple of whom have just paired their door cards. I would call the first bet, but when it's raised and re-raised behind you, you have to know your opponents. I don't play this small, but at low limits (as opposed to micros), a lot of players won't three-bet an expensive street without a made hand. If seat 3 is full, you're drawing dead. I'm going to guess that there's enough of a chance that he's monkeying around that you can continue.

I can't remember ever folding two pair in a 30+ BB pot for one more bet, but I have a hard time imagining that you're good here.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Calling on third street is absolutely atrocious. There really is no other way of looking at it.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 AM

On third and fourth you aren't drawing to a hand, you're drawing to a draw. Even worse, you're doing it into a huge field. There is a lot of money there (relatively), but you can't have enough equity to continue. If you pick up a draw, there's no certainty the hand will be a winner if you make it. This is the sort of situation you must be able to feel your way out of if you want to avoid getting stuck for many bets in a pot you can't win.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 PM

3rd street call is terrible. I disagree with the rest of the group I think you should call 4th. Your spades are somewhat dead but there are many cards out so that's not uncommon. You are getting an amazing price to peel one off on 4th which is why you should call here. If the pot was 3 handed and not raised you would obviously just fold 4th but here the pot is already huge you've just gotta see if you can catch another spade on 4th. 5-6th is auto call.