Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: 6max quiz

Follow-up question (fill in the blank): At Micro-Levels, slowplaying is almost never correct except when the _______ is ________, your opponents will ________ if you _________ and a cheap card can only _________ them to an __________ hand.

Does the fact that I agreed with Miles explain my recent downswing?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:22 PM

link to thread in high stakes
Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 PM

Bet. If the remaining players are good then our bet from the button cannot be seen as necessarily a threat. IMO, it offers very little to our opponents in the way of real info - "most" players slow-play hands like these ie. check the flop & raise the turn. Obviously a check-raise on the flop would be cool but I would be fairly sure we're not going to see the whole table fold. The turn, we're hoping, will improve their hands and they might bet we'll raise and we might get a call or two. However, if these guys are good, they'll read a turn raise (after we checked the flop) as a slow play and fold - end of story, no river bets. The key problem with slow-plays, IMO, is that they tend to be very transparent to good players and also tend to be action killers. I personally try to devise the most profitable approach and slow playing here - against good, aggressive players is not the best way to extract the most bets.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:36 PM

Thanks Miles for posting this. I think seeing examples of when it's perfect to slowplay is great. There have been a ton of slow-playing hands lately and it's good to see one that should be correctly applied.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i stole this hand from high stakes for fun. at a tight aggressive game, checking here is the best decision by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose bet but I thought it was close. I wouldn't call 30 vpip all that tight, and my experience at micros says at least a few of them will throw in a small bet. On the other hand, if the board is still ragged after the turn, they might not be so willing with a big bet.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 PM

I'm one of the check votes. If we had a 2-tone flop, I'd bet to protect against the flush. I originally clicked "bet" anyway because I hate to see a street pass where I'm not collecting even a bet. However, I think the chances of losing villains here who might bluff and/or call on the turn can't make up for whatever I make on the flop. With this many villains, I don't see it being checked back to me on the turn, and that's a good thing. Someone's going to take a shot at this, and they can't do that if I run them off or establish myself as the aggressor on the flop.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 PM

Default An example

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) 1st time Slowplayer is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, 1st time Slowplayer calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, 1st time Slowplayer checks, Button checks.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3BB, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, 1st time Slowplayer calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">1st time Slowplayer 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12BB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">1st time Slowplayer bets</font>, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to 1st time Slowplayer.

Results:
Final pot: 12BB
Old 04-15-2006, 06:43 AM

If there ever were a place to check a flop with a big hand in this game it's now.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:25 AM

I chose bet, but I have a feeling it is wrong.

My question is, why are we limping preflop?