Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Faxes by Email?

Are there any good programs or companies that allow you to receive faxes by email? I have a dedicated fax phone number, and my faxes are received by my computer at my office. 95% of the time, I need to transfer the fax to my home computer or email to someone else, so I have to convert it to a PDF file, then email it to myself on the other computer. It seems like there has to be an easier way.

I have found several companies that will do this, but they charge on a page-by-page basis, and I receive a LOT of faxes.

Is there an easier way to have my faxes go directly to email? I would like to keep my current fax number, as I have used it for over ten years. I could forward to another number, if necessary, though.

Any thoughts? I do not currently have a home phone line...everything goes to work, and I access it remotely when I am at home, which is about 50% of the work day.

I would love for faxes to magically appear in my email inbox. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Faxes by Email?

I've had an eFax.com account since 1999, and it's worked perfectly for me. My account is the free type, so it's some long distance number for me, but faxes come in to my email whenever I get one. For a paid account, you can get a local number.

I probably only get 3 or 4 a year, since it's just for personal use. I probably get one "offer" to upgrade or for one of their partners every other week, which isn't too bad.

When it comes in, it's as a multi-page TIFF file and opens fine with the picture/fax viewer installed with Windows. If I recall correctly, I had to specify using Linux or something when I signed up, since for Windows and Mac users they had a special fax viewer. I didn't want to tie myself to some obscure file format that only they used.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Faxes by Email?

I use:

http://www.faxaway.com

You get a seattle-based number, which works well for me since I live here. You scan the document(s), save it (them) as a TIFF, put it into Microsoft Word and turn them into Black and White, and send to (faxnumber)@faxaway.com.

Then you get confirmed reports.

I love the service. Very cheap, professional, and works extremely well. Faxes are delivered to you via email and you can use Microsoft Fax Viewer (included in Windows) to view the documents.