Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 12:16 PM

Default 5CD - A couple of questions

Hey all, I'm not really a 5cd player but it's good fun and I have a few questions:

1/2 or 2/4 online game, probably the usual terrible players. You have a poor hand (ace high or so) in the BB. It is your first hand at the table, you have no reads. Folds to SB, who completes, you check. SB draws 1, you draw 4 to your A or K, or 3 to your weak pair. SB bets out - what's your minimum you call with here, assuming the player is the average low limit donk? Also, do you recommend any other drawing strategy here?

Second question, when is it appropriate to slowplay predraw? So far I've not done anything tricky predraw and I'd like to know when to.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 5CD - A couple of questions

Against an unknown, I'm probably only calling with AA/KK or better. Its funny that tons of players in SB's position are like 'OMG! He has nothing I'm going to bet!'. These are the same players that bet into player's that are obviously on flush/straight draws.

I only slowplay quads. There are only 2 rounds of betting, put money in.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:30 PM

I think I agree w/ the calling w/ only AA/KK or better.. hard to really do much when you first sit with no reads, unless you don't mind investing the BB for the information (did he slow play two pair? complete w/ a draw and betting missed? ..missed but is betting a pair?).

As for slow playing: 1/2 yes, 2/4 no.

At 1/2, there are plenty enough donks who will limp with a draw, that I'll slow play a T-high flush or better (search back a little, we just had a discussion about not slow playing straights, espec'ly low ones). I don't mind slow-playing flushes since there are plenty of people who will limp with a straight draw. Why not let them get there drawing dead? Bet into them post, some are stupid enough to raise with a straight (but then I just call if I'm flushing; if they limped with a small 2pr and got there, they'll just cap and you'll have to pay it, imo).

2/4: you should be raising all the time coming in, so why not raise with pat hands too? You might even get 3-bet by two pair or trips. Once you get to 2/4, there are more grinders who pay attention. I've mucked two pair pre to a player that I know is solid who limped.. he never limps.. I mucked, someone else raised, he 3-bet and stood pat. Which just illustrates why you shouldn't slow-play against aware players.. I might have 3-bet with my 2-pair, if he was lucky enough that the other guy had trips, could have been capped before it even got back to him.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 AM

I personally dont slow play predraw, I either raise going in or fold. The only time I will limp is if Im in a blind or a open-ended straight flush draw...although I have started to raise with them.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:48 AM

I reccomend always drawing 4 if you have Ace high and see him draw 1. Always call if he bets out and you have ace high or better.
The most common bluff in low limit draw is people betting their missed draws. Even if you are beaten don't forget to show your hand, it is great for your image.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 AM

I like this play in limit draw or a passive PL game against a single limper, especially SB v BB. I tend to draw three to AK when the SB draws one after completing, as sometimes the K kicker comes in handy when you try to pick off his bluff.

I've found that two things happen when you pick off a bluff with ace high. Sometimes the other player figures you have them pegged and stop making any moves on you and only bet legit hands. More often it is the opposite and your opponent has just made a note that you are a "calling station" and starts value betting with all kinds of weak hands that he should really just be checking down.