Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 AM

Default A good time for swatting flies?

Villan was tight, even since being short-stacked, and had been waiting for some sort of a hand to push with, seemed unwilling to push with any two cards. A few discussion points:

1. Do you play here and if so do you call or raise?
1a. For those who rasie, raise to what?
2. Generally what is your calling range in this situation?
3. Does your read on villan factor into your decision when fly swatting?
4. What other factors affect your decision to call/raise (I know Harrington would say call w/any two for one tenth of your stack...I'm looking for any other factors e.g. stage of tourney, nature of table etc.)?

Cryptologic
No Limit Tournament, $1000 GTD
Blinds: $150/$300, $25 ante
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1455
UTG+1: $1796.92
MP1: $2725
CO: $7355
Button: $6889.04
dumbndumb: $27260
BB: $10285

Pre-flop: (7 players) dumbndumb is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $1771.92</font>, 3 folds, hero?

Edit: Included antes
Old 04-13-2006, 01:10 AM

Default Re: A good time for swatting flies?

Yeah I think this is a fairly easy call.

note: Harrington does NOT say call with any two for 1/10 of your stack, he says put in a short stack with any two at the final table if you have him covered 10:1.

Considering the short stack is desperate to make a move, the antes are giving you good odds, and you have a pair and a giant stack, I think this is an easy call regardless of the stage of the tournament
Old 04-13-2006, 03:42 AM

I might fold just to avoid doubling him up on a 50/50 or worse proposition. But it probably doesn't really matter what you do. Calling is +cEV, but doubling up a short stack unecessarily could be bad for you down the road. It seems close.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:21 AM

In this case, I am not nearly so concerned with UTG+1 as I am with BB.

If I just call, then BB is getting close to 3-1 and if he is a smart and tricky player, he could play almost any two and have a chance to beat you. He could push with any two and make your call dead money.

Your decision on how to play has to depend on what you will do with BB. Should you raise to try to push him out? What will you do if you call and BB reraises?

Forget the little stack. Concentrate on the bigger stack.

With no other information, I'm probably letting the 33 go, because I don't know what to expect from BB.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree with the concern about the BB Spee, so I just made an isolation raise (I think I rasied it to $4000) and it pushed the BB out. UTG+1 turned over 88 but I wasn't too concerned about doubling him up. He was playing way to conservatively with his stack size and he likely was just going to be blinded away.

One question I'd like any feedback on is if you will dump a hand in this situation based on read (suspending Spee's concern about what BB will do), or just keep it simple and play, not trying to speculate on what a desparate player has. Villan in this case had been folding enough to make me believe his range was prob around AQ+, 55+.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villan in this case had been folding enough to make me believe his range was prob around AQ+, 55+.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, then I don't get the logic behind your raise. If you figure to be a big dog about 80% of the time against UTG+1, then why don't you just call and try to get BB into to the hand with some extra money.

The way you read it, your 33 more or less only has set value. Yet you act so as to drive out the extra money that you need to make playing it worthwhile.