Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Internet goes out every 10mins

hey guys i never had a problem with my internet until about 2 weeks ago. About every 10minutes the icon in the bottom right of my screen flashes for a second that a network adapter is unplugged and then it goes away. My internet goes out for about a minute then and then comes back on (obviously very frustrating while playing poker.. and it costing me $$$). I get that same icon if i unplug my router... i'm curious if you guys think it's my router that is messed up or COX (internet service provider). I've unplugged everything and plugged them back in but still having the same problem. Any help would be great, Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Internet goes out every 10mins

Are you using wireless?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM

no, plugged right into my router
Old 04-12-2006, 10:49 PM

I would try a new network adapter first, then a new router, then a new cable modem. Return anything that doesn't fix the problem, and if you still have trouble, it's COX's problem.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:43 AM

Standard first test is to bypass the router.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would try a new network adapter first, then a new router, then a new cable modem. Return anything that doesn't fix the problem, and if you still have trouble, it's COX's problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? You think the MOST likely explanation for an intermittent network connection is a failed network card? Not checking the cables anywhere in there? Honestly, that is the sort of advice people would be better off without.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:01 AM

I'm not sure it would make much sense that the cabling would cause the PC to lose connection every ten minutes. It's certainly worth a try though.

OP: If you are heading out to buy stuff, I would get both a NIC and a run of Cat5. A ten foot run won't cost you much. Try one, then the other, and then take back the one that didn't fix the problem. Try the cabling first as it would be the easiest.

In fact, you should have a short run of Cat5 from your router to the modem. Try connecting that directly from your PC to your modem. If that doesn't help, try using the cable from your PC to your router if you haven't already. I doubt both runs would be bad, so you would then move on to replacing the NIC, router, modem, etc.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:03 PM

Smells like a power supply problem to me. I had a similar experience about a year ago. My cable provider swapped out the offending cable modem and all was well. It had been rebooting every 10 minutes or so. If this is the case in your instance, you can note it by watching the sequence of lights on the modem.

But, as ericd noted the first thing to do would be to bypass the router. Also, check to see if any cordless phones or microwaves are in use during the offending times. These can operate on the same frequency.