Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 AM

Default 5cd trips question

when you get dealt trips:

do you usually discard both other cards or just 1?

I just started playing this game today

thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: 5cd trips question

Depends, If you discard just one, it may look as if you have 2pr and may get a call. although, some now think the opposite will get a call (reverse logic)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Depends on what you want to accomplish and the draw you are up against.

Sometimes the most obvious thing to do (draw 2) is actually the most deceiving - since many players draw 2 with just a pair. Sometimes you can get additional action post-draw by drawing 2, and drawing 2 gives you the best likelyhood of getting an even stronger hand.

If you draw 1 and they draw 3, they may put you on two pair or trips and if they hit trips they may bet into you.

I tend to vary how many I draw w trips just so people can't put me precisely on it 100% of the time, and also to help keep them guessing when I do have two small pair and would prefer a free showdown.

If someone calls my bet and draws 1 and I am in position, I often draw 2 with lower trips. Leaving it up to them to guess if I have a pair or trips and often will get bet into with a worse hand than if I had bet and drew 1 against their 1 where they will likely check as will I.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:02 PM

I agree with RatFink but I also think it mainly depends on how you deal your pairs.

If you always draw 2 with pairs, drawing 2 with trips will probably get more action. If you always draw 3 with pairs, drawing 2 will probably get no action at all - or just the action you don't want when you are beaten.

That's why, IMO, you should sometimes draw 3 and sometimes draw 2 cards with pairs - when you get trips you can draw 1 or 2 depending on position and/or disguise - your behaviour is not predictable.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:14 PM

Ok thanks tecapparatus, RatFink, mpanzer
Old 04-13-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you get dealt trips:

do you usually discard both other cards or just 1?

I just started playing this game today

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

See this thread too: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...393&page=0
Old 04-13-2006, 11:57 PM

I almost always draw one, especially if I'm reraising with position. I want the big 2 pair to bet into me unimproved, and second-best big trips will bet into me, allowing me to raise. I also want calls after they check to me. I'm more likely to accomplish all of those objectives drawing one.

Where I mix it up is when I'm reraised out of the blinds with low trips, then I'll draw whatever my opponent draws. If he draws 1, I'll draw one and hope he bets out his big two pair.

If he draws 2, I'll draw two, because here, I want him to know I have trips. If his trips are low enough, he might check it down. Ideally, he has something like 666xx to my 777xx. What if he bets out and I'm holding 222xx? It's player dependent there -- only against super aggressive/maniacal players would I call. If there's a solid, tight player between him and myself, and he calls, I won't overcall.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 AM

maybe 90% of the time i discard my highest ranked non trips card and keep the other

stripsqueez - chickenhawk