Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Top pair no kicker in the BB (PP $15-30)

Yes I did in fact win this pot. He had me pretty much convinced I was up against a better king but by the time the river came and no spade arrived I thought I had enough to call.
To be perfectly honest I had earlier put him on a JT, QT, QJ type hand and almost bet the river thinking I'd get a call from that type of hand that paired.
Common sense prevailed because I wanted him to bet all the hands he could not call with on the river. Seeing as if he had a busted draw the pot was now too big for him (or me) to give up.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:45 PM

I agree with Jeffage. Unless you have a read on the limper that he'll bet any flop that's checked to him, just bet it yourself. Your play seems too tricky/fancy for a small pot against unknowns.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 PM

So why does THFAP advocate check/call as the standard play with top pair, bad kicker? Dam, that book seems almost useless to me at this point...

Also, Jeff, are you folding to a raise at any point, or calling down automatically since we're v. an unknown?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM

really? do you guys all agree that you have to call down the turn 3bet? seems we are not ahead often enough here to justify this v. a typical 15/30 player? am i wrong?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Almost correct? Not surprising? You were off bigtime. No oofense but how can you say you were almost corect and k3 was ultimately no good? You said it was a bad turn call(that was you right im not looking back as writing this but i think so right?). How can you say yo were almost correct and unltimately no good? He was ahead on turn. You said it was a bad turn call. If his hand was good on turn how were you correct in saying he should have folded turn? Big difference between k9s and j9s but you make it seem likem its the same thing. Not close. In k9s he would be WAY behind(payoff that is) against j9s he is actually ahead. How is that the same thing? And he later said it was j8s(which he is even more ahead) but for your statements im going with j9s as this is what we were discussing. Not attacking you here but how can you say k9s and j9s samwe thing i was almost correct lol?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 PM

smooth call, dont talk to strangers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2006, 07:42 PM

"Your play seems too tricky/fancy for a small pot"

How come? Doesn't the level of trickiness we employ increase with how significant the bets we are earn through trickiness compare to the size of the pot?

-Michael
Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM

I shouldnt talk to posters that can only hurt my game either but i thought you deserved a response. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 PM

siegfried or is it roy? Don't talk to posters unless they have stripes on them and live in a cage.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:24 PM

I dunno, against an unknown limper, I'd rather just bet and assume I'd get called in at least one place. Limpers like to call. Again, against a known aggresssive player, a check followed by a raise at some point is fine with me.

I mean, he hit the jackpot this time, running into a multiple street (and multiple raise) bluff, but that doesn't happen too often.

You also don't want to see it checked through and have a card come on the turn that makes one of your 2 opponent's hands.