Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Equity and multiple opponents

If I have Equity of say 21% against one opponents hand and Equity of 15% against my other opponent is there a specific way of calculating my total equity?

Using a specific example in Pokerstove my equity against both opponents is 11%. What I would like to know is if there is a specific formula that takes 21% and 15% and arrives at 11% or is it always hand and board specific?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to combine my equity against two opponents into a single figure but need to be able to do this outside of pokerstove.

Cheers!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Equity and multiple opponents

There's no set formula you can use; each situation is different. The combined effects of your opponents cards could increase your overall equity, not change it that much, or decrease it.

For example, if you have AA and one opponent has KK, your equity is 81%. If you add in a second opponent who also has KK your equity now shoots up to 96%.

On the flip side, if you have KQ against a single opponent who has AK your equity is 25%. Against another single opponent who holds AQ, it's still 25%; however against two opponents who hold AK and AQ it plummets to 7%.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Equity and multiple opponents

Cheers Tom, That makes perfect sense.