Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Top pair no kicker in the BB (PP $15-30)

PP 15-30 10 handed

I'm in BB (hero) with K3off. One early/mid position caller (villain) and SB fills it in.

Flop is K 9 4 rainbow. SB checks hero checks villain bets. SB folds
I have no info on this player and he is fairly new to my table. Hero calls.
Turn card is a 5s putting a spade 4 flush on board. Hero checks, villain bets, hero checkraises, villain 3 bets, hero makes crying call.
River card is Jd hero checks villain bets and hero calls.

Without revealing what the other player had (yet) I wonder if I could get some opinions on playing this kind of hand this way. It's a situation that comes up fairly regularly and I often wonder the best way to maximise wins here. My thinking is that my King is mostly going to be good in this spot so I wonder how to do a few things successfully here...
Make the other player pay to draw, encourage him to put money in with a hopeless hand he cannot call a bet from me with, not allow myself to be played off the hand, not let the villain see 2 cards for $15 with an option to semibluff/valuebet when he has me beat.

I wonder what others do in this kind of spot generally and what you might consider optimal.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Top pair no kicker in the BB (PP $15-30)

This is a three handed unraised pot - bet the flop in the middle and it's not close. What do you think he'll call your turn checkraise with that you beat? I'd just bet the flop, turn and river and hope to be paid off by a lower pair or maybe get one flop call with a gutter. But the flop is a clear, clear bet.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 AM

The other player held Js 9s
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 AM

I'm guessing you were up against K9 suited or a flopped set. Because neither you nor your opponent know each other, chances are high you each were playing fairly straightforwardly -- at least until learning more about the other's style of play. Thus, if I am facing the same situation, the 3-bet on the turn tells me my K3 is no good.

If you tell me you won the hand, I'll be surprised.

TK
Old 04-11-2006, 04:57 AM

excuse me, the other guy had Js 8s just double checked my PT
Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 AM

I totally disagree that its a clear bet. Your hand will usally be good and is hard for it to get beat as only an A is the most likely card that can come to beat you. And even thats not garunteed. Its a situaiton where you either way ahead or way beind. You need to give your opponents a chance to bluff off there chips here i think. As the late guy will bet about 99 perecent of time here. Now if ohter are aggressive and dont beleuive your leads at these pots and like to pop you and play you off i like betting. But in general flop check call is best i think. The turn is a little more tricky like payoff is asking. But i think i like the checkraise as they may now have a draw and want to charge them. Or they might do sumhintreal stupid and reraise becasuse they think your try to outplay there play. The reraise is sumthing that is going to happen sometimes and they will have you beat. But you will be good here often enough to make this checkraise profitable. The call down i think you have to call down in headup sitatuions like this. But i dont like it as it feels like your best. But too many will stil just be drawing or messin around to fold i think.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 AM

J8s? So you won?!! Your supposed to only posts hands that you lose, dont you know any better? Join my results oriented bandwagon. Its only a $1 charge for bad beat stories in my club.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 PM

Did you have the 3 of spade?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Well, my guess was almost correct; from the play of the hand, I had surmised K9 suited, and it turned out to be J9 suited. In any event, the result is not surprising -- the K3 off, ultimately, was no good.

TK
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 PM

I see no benefit in waiting for turn to raise, I saw either lead out and bet the flop or check raise. When he 3 bets you the only thing you can hope for is a flush draw, which in this case he had. This is no position to be sneaky. Play it straight and get paid.