Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Showing cards at showdown.

nice to know that.... oh, never mind.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM

WOW, play nice.

My house was the house in play (nice victory Mug, next time your mine!) and I was the one who did the enforcement of the rule, because for no other reason than it is the posted rule in my house. We believe that to be a good rule for two main reasons; 1. Someone paid (called) to see your cards, both of them. 2. Someone in our group is notorious for slow-rolling and only showing one card is the first step to his sinister plan...

There is no firm enforcement, but when asked, show. If you show only one, and the guy folds easily, he may not care and that's fine. If he does care, show.

With the increasing interest in your future games, I encourage you to draft an official set of rule, just in case you’re in a pot and a discrepancy comes up. It's hard to mention a house rule for he first time when you’re involved in the pot.

Looking forward to getting even next week...
Old 04-10-2006, 11:25 PM

"and I was the one who did the enforcement of the rule, because for no other reason than it is the posted rule in my house."

You should enforce the rules in play, at the time of decision, unless a rule is so wrong that enforcing it would be very unjust. You can then consider afterwards whether to change the rule or not. Here, I wouldn't, especially if you're facing this:

"2. Someone in our group is notorious for slow-rolling and only showing one card is the first step to his sinister plan..."

But I HATE habitual slow-rollers.

Nice job all around, SR.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Officially speaking - if you were called - you are required to show your entire hand.

Enforcement is another conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know i've heard this before but if you're playing the board do you still have to show your hole cards before mucking them?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
know i've heard this before but if you're playing the board do you still have to show your hole cards before mucking them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Robert's rules say yes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
know i've heard this before but if you're playing the board do you still have to show your hole cards before mucking them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Robert's rules say yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Roberts Rules

Section 5 Rule 9

You must declare that you are playing the board before you throw your cards away. Otherwise, you relinquish all claim to the pot.

Don't really see how you can interpret that as saying that you have to show them.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 AM

What is the accepted standard for showing cards? The person who raised? The caller? I think having the option to muck cards gives much confusion and aids collusion, I'd rather have a rule that everyone that went to showdown shoud show their hands regardless if he won or not.

Also, why some sites show mucked hands in HH and others not?
Whats the point of allowing someone to muck his card if we can just see the HH? It's like, muck cards so fish doesn't see them???(couse anyone with half a brain can look at the previous hand history?)
Old 04-11-2006, 10:02 AM

While some places do handle it differently. The Generally Accepted method of resolving a Showdown is...

Last Bettor on the River shows first, then continue in clockwise order. If no Bettor, then the player with the first action must muck or show, then continue in a clockwise order.

Also generally, (read, there are exceptions) any player in a hand can demand that any hand going to the showdown must be shown. However, you should only be insisting on this if you suspect collusion or the like. Otherwise your just an ass. PLEASE NOTE: this demand is different from the requirement that a winner show thier entire hand as it applies to anyone going to the showdown and not someone looking to take down the pot.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone paid (called) to see your cards, both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
We say, in my house, the last person to make an aggressive move (bet or raise, not a call) is the first to show, reguardless of betting round. If the player on the button raises pre flop, and 3 others call, then it checks down to the river, the last raiser shows first. I know this goes against Roberts, but we like it that way.

In 4 years of hosting weekly card games, I've never had a player cheat with the deck. We've had cheaters who tried to share info during a game, but never actually cheating with the cards. I see why some rules are in place to prevent this, but does it happen?