Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 03:08 PM

Default How did you get knocked out of the 2005 Main Event?

Maybe there was a thread like this already...

How did you get get knocked out? What place did you get? I'm interested to hear what happened to people.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: How did you get knocked out of the 2005 Main Event?

plzzzzzzzzzz no or BBV and even then no plz
Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Nothing special - I was down to about 4000 and then had QQ vs AA.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Blinds 800/1600

I had 22,000
I just got to a new table so no real reads, UTG appears to be a maniac.

UTG limps, folded to me on button, I limp with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checked around.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, I bet 4000, SB c/r to 11,000, folded back to me, I push, he calls with AQ straight.

Day two at least...
Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 PM

200-400 50 ante with about 18,000 in chips. Mid positions with two limpers, made it 2000 with 99. Button calls and the limpers and blinds fold. Flop came 269 with two hearts. Made it 8000, button pushed I called he showed QQ I showed my set, and was quickly shown the rail as the Q hit the turn. If you were at the Mirage playing 6-12 the next day I'm sorry for my repeated drunken tellings of this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2006, 07:53 PM

Ok, so you raised 5x the bb with a medium pocket pair, then bet 2x the pot on the flop??? Im not saying the money wouldnt have gone in no matter what you did, but that plays sounds kind of strange.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:19 PM

He bet 8000 on the flop, not 800.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:04 PM

I start the day to Ted Forrest's left. Bob Stupak eventually shows up at the table too, but he plays horribly, busts early and leaves so he's not really a factor. Yosh Nakano is at our table as well, but I didn't know who he was at the time.

I am probably the fish at the table -- everyone was playing pretty well, and there weren't a lot of long ball hands, so the day consisted mostly of chips shuffling back and forth and it was late in the day before we had our first elimination. We were a low numbered table so we stayed at the same table all day and our table never broke. I was down to about 5k at the end of the first day.

At the beginning of my day 2 I wind up at a table where the big stack has 80k in chips. I'm thinking it's going to be hellish, but I play some good short stack poker and make it up to 30k in chips, which is somewhere near the average (much closer to it than 5k anyway).

Then my table breaks and I get moved to a table that is practically bending under the weight of all the chips on it. There is one other short stack with about 15k then the rest of the stacks are like 70k, 80k, 120k, 90k, etc... During the first hour, I play one hand which is pocket aces... I raise preflop, then bet 2/3 the pot on an Axx uncoordinated flop, everyone folds and I show the hand -- trying to establish a nut peddling image so I can loosen up a little later... unfortunately later never comes as I go completely card dead for the next hour or two.

Eventually, sometime in the afternoon, after I've been blinded down to about 23k or so, I pick up AJo in LP. Blinds are something like 1k/2k with 300 ante or something along those lines. EP raises to 8k. He's been hyper aggressive and this has been his standard raise every 4 or 5 hands. I push, he calls and flips over QQ and I don't remember the exact board but I think I hit an ace but he hit trip queens... either way I'm out.

Overall I don't mind any of my play on the second day including the hand I went out on, but I think my biggest problem was playing too passively on day 1... I was a bit intimidated by Ted Forrest and in general by it being my first WSOP main event. Not a mistake I will be making this year.

Oh, and there was somewhere between 1,100 and 1,000 people left when I went out (they didn't update the count on the screens that often).
Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
He bet 8000 on the flop, not 800.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
then bet 2x the pot on the flop???

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows this. Still a weird play.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:16 AM

Late afternoon of the first day, blinds I think are $100-200. I have about $9,000 in chips and get moved to a new table. First hand at the new table I find JJ UTG and raise 3x the BB. Folded around to Layne Flack who wasn't looking too good (he was deathly ill); Layne raises about 2x the pot, and I call.

Flop comes Qxx and I bet about the pot. Layne calls. Turn comes a rag and I bet out again, and Layne raises all-in. I lay down, leaving me pretty crippled.

What I didn't know at this point (it was my first hand at the table) was that Layne had moved all-in the previous two hands as well, with the same exact betting pattern. Had I known this, combined with his generally aggressive play, combined with the fact that he was really sick and was just looking to pad his stack and take a break, I would have called in an instant and taken my chances that he didn't have the Queen or an overpair.

I went out a few hands later, but this was the defining hand of the tournament for me.

Btw, the very next hand was the one they showed on ESPN where Layne has AA and is against a single opponent with TT. The flop comes AT4. When Layne goes all-in overtop the guy, the guy calls and is horrified that Layne has the only hand that beats him. It's a horrible beat when you watch it on TV, but it's compounded even more when you realize that this was the fourth hand in a row that Layne had pushed on, and his opponent was sitting on the second nuts.

After the AA hand, Layne walks away for about 5 hours and takes a nap, sitting on over $30K in chips...

-Aces