Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Tourney Plateau

I need some help or suggestions as I am running into this problem too frequently it seems. In the early stages of a tourney, like the first hour or so, I am able to build up my chip stack to a nice size, like between 3k and 5k, when you start w/ 1.5k in chips. I am able to steal some blinds and what not but then people w/8-10k in chips are at the tables during some of the later stages in the tourney and are stealing. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not getting cards or if i'm being too timid and not pushing all in on steals w/ weak aces etc. But I would appreciate some advice on how to continue to build up my stack in this early to late stages. I know not to be result oriented, but the last three tourney's i've played, i've gotten out on the bubble, 3 from bubble and 5 from bubble. I've read both HOH's so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Tourney Plateau

If you decided that you wanted to come out of the closet, would you walk right into the middle of a homosexual bar and yell out, "OK! I'm out! Show me how its done boys?"
Old 04-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Touche, I guess that's an interesting analogy and I understand what you're saying. I'm just looking for some advice, should i be playing more coinflips, getting better cards?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:17 PM

you don't have to be a restealing maniac to win tournaments. there's no one correct way to play tournament poker. if your natural style is solid and conservative, don't feel the pressure to become excessively aggro in the middle stages.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Touche, I guess that's an interesting analogy and I understand what you're saying. I'm just looking for some advice, should i be playing more coinflips, getting better cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

def try getting better cards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but seriously, take a look at all aspects of your play and others at the table. how can you try accumulating more chips? how are these people getting their chips? if you're not comfortable w/ playing the way required for accumulation, how can you adjust in the second and third hour. there's plenty of different paths.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 PM

Sorry, I am in a silly mood and this is posted a lot.

Read the FAQ at the top of this thread, and search around, because this topic is brought up frequently. If you read the FAQ, use the search function (making sure to add a "+" sign before words you search for), and read through the posts on here day to day, you should find your answer eventually.

In general, opponents matter, position matters, being 1st raiser PF is huge, expand your range in LP as the blinds increase, take adv of middle stacks around the bubble (not the big and short stacks), let go of a steal attempt if it is clear you are beat and try to steal on the cheap if you can (2.5xBB-3BB). Pay attn to stack sizes, blinds/antes, opponents, pay structure, table feel, etc, at all times. The problem is there are so many things to consider in every stealing situation that there is no simple explaination. Also, if you haven't ever restolen by going over the top of a LP LAGGY stealer, then you definately aren't playing quite right. You should also be folding certain semi-premium hands like AQ in cetain spots. I am not even in the slghtest reccommending that you should play like a maniac. There is an extremely delicate balance involved, and it has to do with you as a player and how comfortable you feel doing what you are trying to do as well. Don't go over the top or play too much out of your comfort level with regard to stealing unless you are comfortable with it and it fits your style. Otherwise, you will make too many mistakes.

In the interim, I would reccomend playing either turbo STTs or small turbo MTTs. Turbo tourneys are a great way to learn about stealing effectively IMO. As compared to a normal MTT, they are extreme, but you can develop a feel for how to deal with extremely large blinds/stack ratios, at least.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're not comfortable w/ playing the way required for accumulation, how can you adjust in the second and third hour. there's plenty of different paths.

[/ QUOTE ]

There may be a variety of ways to get there, but they all involve stealing to some extent, or just an extremely lucky run of cards. You HAVE to be stealing in online tourneys at some point if you expect to win. This should vary from tourney to tourney, as each tournament you encounter will be different. The paths you describe are at some point all taken by truly great players who adapt to the situation and change their style depending on game situations.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:41 PM

My general strategy in the early/middle stages of a tourney is to play a tight, aggresive game.
By playing tightly, I don't mean you should be calling only premium hands preflop. On the contrary, you should try and see the flop and develop as many hands as possible. You still of course still need to be selective, but as the blinds are still small in comparasin to your chip stack you can afford to some cheap flops. If your hand doesn't develop on the flop, you don't hit your trips, you dont catch top pair/top kicker,.. do NOT draw.

If you have caught what you think is the best hand on the flop, bet it. Be aggresive and take the pot there, don't let people out draw you. Only slow play the nuts.

If you are dealt a premium hand (high pp's) pre-flop you should also play it aggresively in almost any position. You should raise large against many limpers and narrow the competition. If there's a broken flop, bet/raise and take it down there.

You should also keep bluffing to a minimum at this stage. Be patient and you will get legitamate hands and not need to bluff away your precious chips. If you have built up a fairly tight table image you should however be semi-bluffing in position and trying to steal some blinds. If you can take down the pot pre-flop.. Do. If your hand doesnt catch on the flop and the BB checks into the flop, give it another 'relative' bet. i.e, pot sized if there is a flush draw. If the BB calls, dont throw away any more chips unless your hand develops.. check it down.

The biggest and toughest issue really isn't how to accumalate chips.. it's how not to lose them.