Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: I hate coin flips

[ QUOTE ]
[start rant/whine] I hate playing for 5 hours, feeling ever so pleased with some carefully laid traps, check-raises, whatever to get yourself a decent stack and then some lucky donk who has been going all-in with garbage reraises your AK all-in with 22, and you lose and you sit there fuming. It just doesn't seem in the spirit of the game when stuff like that happens. [end rant/whine]

Believe it or not there is a point to this post and that is that it occurred to me that if pot limit tourneys were standard then irritating random luck like that wouldn't happen. You could at least see a flop and make a decision there. Do you think it's possible pot limit could start taking over the hold 'em tourney scene?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but luck is a factor in this game - pot limit or no limit. It is the spirit of the game to have luck work for and against you. You were the underdog in the hand and he just picked his spot and went with it.

If it's difficult to deal with, then don't play. If greed is a factor, then live with the environment. I don't see nlhe going away any time soon for tournaments.

When you are the dog in the hand, and you choose to go all-in, and you win, please post here with that result. The brain only remembers the negative and not the positive.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[start rant/whine] I hate playing for 5 hours, feeling ever so pleased with some carefully laid traps, check-raises, whatever to get yourself a decent stack and then some lucky donk who has been going all-in with garbage reraises your AK all-in with 22, and you lose and you sit there fuming. It just doesn't seem in the spirit of the game when stuff like that happens. [end rant/whine]

Believe it or not there is a point to this post and that is that it occurred to me that if pot limit tourneys were standard then irritating random luck like that wouldn't happen. You could at least see a flop and make a decision there. Do you think it's possible pot limit could start taking over the hold 'em tourney scene?

[/ QUOTE ]

am I the "lucky donk" you're talking about? Do you think I win every coin flip? If you're talking about the hand I think you are, my chip situation was pretty bad and I had to make a move. I was lucky to win a coin flip but that's what it takes sometimes, at least it wasn't A2 vs your AK that beat you.

gr8ful
Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 AM

No it wasn't you gr8ful (and I know making a move with 22 with a low m is the right thing to do), and I wasn't really talking about a specific hand, it could be AK losing to QQ that's almost as annoying. All I know is that deep in a tourney you have to win like 4 or 5 flips to make it to the last few players. If you did that with a real coin it would take a long time to get it right. It makes me wonder how some live players make it to the final table so often.

I know I'm just having a big fat whine here, so sorry about that, but I was originally more interested in finding out about peoples opinions on pot limit tourneys (although someone mentioned that deep in a pot limit tourney the same thing would probably happen with m's being so small). I fully realise that these coinflips are just part of the game, I don't like it but I will come to terms with it.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:17 AM

There is a saying in poker tournaments "you must beat AK and win with AK to win".

One reason for tornament players success is they avoid coin flips early on. However you will be involved in them at some time and to win the tournament you must win races.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy with 22 had the better hand. Yes, 22 IS better than AK (a common misconception, but feel free to look it up). I'm not sure what the rant is about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The guy with 22 had the better hand. Yes, 22 IS better than AK (a common misconception, but feel free to look it up). I'm not sure what the rant is about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was more whine than rant (Which I did say). I know 22 is better and I was just commenting that I wish there was a better way of winning a hand than flipping a coin when you're deep in a tourney. But that is my problem and I will learn to deal with it.